Wooden run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by worms7, Nov 18, 2016.

1. worms7

worms7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2015
    england
    Making a chicken run can the bottom piece of wood be in contact with the ground
    Cheers Phil

2. worms7

worms7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2015
    england
    Any help please
    Cheers Phil

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I guess as long as its treated wood, it should be ok. Not sure where you are in Blighty, but if you have badgers in your area, I'd read up on the subject. Some peeps dig hardware cloth / mesh at least 1ft into the ground, around the perimeter of the the run, with an additional 2ft or so laying horizontally on the ground (and weighed down with stones, or whatever) to help prevent burrowing predators - foxes and dogs.

Maybe if you ask on the UK thread they may be able to give you more geo-specific advice (I'm from the UK, but never kept chickens there) -
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/655508/uk-member-please-say-hi/890

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  4. justlooking

justlooking New Egg

Aug 12, 2016
    It is always better if wood does not come in contact with the ground; are we talking plywood or dimensional lumber?

Some types of wood are better suited to moisture than others; think yellow and red cedar.

Have you considered putting down bricks or paving stones between the ground and the wood?

JL

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Agrees that treated lumber should last goo long time, if it's rated for ground contact.

Anti-dig aprons do not need to be buried a foot deep...just a few inches if you need to mow over or not at all if ground is good and flat.
    Going out 18-24" is best.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by