Wooden Snow Fence for Run Top

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kassy68, May 12, 2009.

1. kassy68

kassy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Vassar , Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm getting ready to start the building of the coop and run.. I was wondering if anyone has every used wooden snow fence (www.tractorsupply.com ) if you haven't seen it.

I am getting 25 pullets and will be doing at least a 12x20 run.. I thought chicken wire on half of it and wooden snow fence on the other part for some filtered sun/ shade. its 39.00 for 4' x 50' so it will do a nice section.

My sides will be 6' welded 2x4 fencing, but the tops got me stumped... netting , wire, snow fence.. Probably whatever's cheapest to start. Thanks, Kim

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Unless you need it for shade I would go with deer netting. It's cheap, easy to work with, does the job in keeping air predators out and chickens in and lasts a long time.
    Simply use zip ties to attached to the fencing and I used cup hooks to attach it to the coop.
    The only issue I have is with snow. It does give with the snow and it will break away in places but is extremely easy to re attach.

3. Hillbilly Rooster

Hillbilly Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Middleville, Michigan
    Just to let you know from expirence is that snow fence is good in the spring, summer, and fall. I used the plastic snow fence last winter and well that is what it is for stopping snow and it collapsed.

Just to let you know.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It will need to be at least as strongly supported as a solid roof would have to be, or it will come down in the first heavy snowfall.

(You might THINK all the snow would filter between the gaps, but in reality, no.)

Good luck whatever you decide,

Pat

5. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    That will work just fine the snow fence is good for the spring.

6. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    I would use the most cost-effective materials, if they are brand-new. Sometimes, we find awesome deals for our chicken-building supplies---I think old-time farmers are looking at our building efforts and laughing that we lavish so much time and attention to....livestock!!--and you gotta go with stuff that you, personally, like.

7. kassy68

kassy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Vassar , Michigan
    My Coop
    Thanks all,
    I never thought about the snow sticking to it.. HUH and being here in Michigan we will probably see it this winter..
    I found rolls for free and will probably pick it up and use it over top of the netting in the hot summer months for more shade.. all months except for winter.. LOL then I'll put it on the north side of my run to break the wind..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by