1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wooden Swing set coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MPLSHens, Nov 8, 2009.

1. MPLSHens

MPLSHens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    I have a old wooden swing set fort/slide thing that I want to turn into a coop. Does anyone have any pictures or advice on how to go about converting it? Has anyone done something similar?

EDIT: It looks something like this:
    [​IMG]

Except without all the kids on it

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    That will works just fine, I don't have one like it, but you can close the sides with some plywood, ofcourse make sure to keep an opening for a little window and another one for a door and you can build a small nesting box and a roost, this size will be enough for may be 3 hens.
    Good Luck,
    Omran

3. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Do a search (in the blue bar above) for "playhouse coop." There have been quite a few done already with lots of photos.

4. sashurlow

sashurlow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    West Rutland, VT
    man, the possibilities are endless. I would make the top and bottom separate coops, just because you can. You could also extend the top beam higher and give them roosts up high as well (giving it all the same roof line). Have fun with your coop. It looks like the perfect start.

5. eastvanchicken

eastvanchicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2009
    Vancouver
    We retrofitted a playhouse and it has worked great. The run will probably have to be expanded and we have found a small porch very useful. There are some pics on our page.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=25271

Though it is not shown in the photos, we built an open-ended box over the entrance hole in the bottom. On top of this is the nesting box, which makes up for the lost floorspace. In lieu of a door we ahve predator proofed the whole run. According to our neighbour this has been tested by our wiley urban racoons but all is fine.

We now have only two hens (two were donated to our neighbour) but will gradually add a couple in the coming years.

Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by