Wooden ''through'' feeder base

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Felony, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Felony

Felony Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Quebec, Canada
    Yesterday I built this old style feeder base out of scrap wood. I had a long metal feeder with the holes on top...but didn't like the fact that the chickens perched on it and knocked it on the side, putting feed on the ground...so I built this so I can put only the bottom of the metal feeder in it (I find it's easier for the chickens to eat freely without the holes on top), and the thin piece of wood over the feeder prevents them from perching on it....no more of my top hen perching on the feeder and taking over so the other ones can't eat! When it's time to feed, I just bring the metal pan in the house, clean it (I wet their food) and fill it...I only tried it this morning and so far so good...the hen tried perching on it but she was rocking back and forth, and gave up [​IMG] So here it is if it can inspire any of you!! :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yeah, I've done something like that for my grow-out pen. Something you might watch for. They tend to bill their food, not as bad as ducks, but still some. What I mean by that is rake the feed sideways and rake it out of the feeder, which can lead to a lot of waste. Since you wet your feed, maybe it's not such a big deal, but you might find a need to put small dividers so they are pecking at the feed instead of swiping it sideways. Raising it may help keep them from scratching trash in it too once the snow is gone. But yes, definitely keep then from perching on it.

You might keep that photo handy for when people post about how chickens won't go out in snow. Mine don't like snow initially. They don't like any change. But after a while they get used to snow, some more than others.

3. Felony

Felony Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Quebec, Canada
    Quote:yeah...if i see they bill out the food i'll put the top of the metal feeder with the hole back on (it fits under the piece of wood)...good idea for raising the feeder , maybe i'll put legs under it!

my chickens walk around in the snow, in and out of the coop all day, and they have a perch outside, they like it there...they dont have a feeder or water in their coop yet (i want to build or buy ones that hang or else it gets full of wood chip anyways) so they have to go out to eat and drink...i'm gonna put a roof over their run soon too, so it doesn't get filled with snow!

They don't seem to mind the snow so much, it's me that's worried about frostbite when it's gonna get really cold...not sure what i'm gonna do but i don't really want to coop them up...i hope their gonna know their feet are freezing and go back in! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by