Woodland Duck Chalet PICS on Page 2

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dixygirl, Jun 21, 2008.

1. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    [​IMG]

Many detailed pictures now on page 2

I am making this duck pen from mostly recycled materials. This is day one and it looks a mess :|
    I started by spray painting the top of my kiddie pool black for a more natural base. I also planted liriope in a half circle

Have to dig out the ground under the pool about 8 inches deeper.

Then I started bringing river rocks from another area to this space. A very slow process.

Check back to see if it ever gets finished.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  2. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    What a pretty spot for your ducks! I love the river rocks, too. Keep us posted on how it all turns out. [​IMG]

3. dixygirl

May 14, 2008
    PROGRESS UPDATE
    The following photos show each of 4 corners in the pen. The last photo shows the posts in the middle of the pen and the empty 4th corner.

A friend dug a hole to sit the pool in the ground
    I got my sod for $10.00 and did a bit of planting. The sod I consider an investment since ducks can forage 80% of their diet. I also have some wild indian strawberries i am going to transplant in there to give them more natural food. That's less feed I have to buy in the long run. I used plants that were already here... just transplanted them to their new spot. [​IMG]
    I nailed the found pieces of wood together to form a coop box for them. I cut an arched door and stained it gloss cherry. The box I stained solid color brown.

I found a piece of wood in the shed with a hole cut out so I put a piece of plexiglass behind it and gave them a window to their coop. The plexiglass was another found piece. Also stained it gloss cherry red.
    There are three posts in the ground in the middle of the pen with cross boards to hang the roof mesh over. It will be peaked in the middle and shorter on the sides

There is still a whole lot of work to be done. I have to put on some kind of roofing mesh. Put some kind of roof on the coop, make a door to the pen, finish covering the ground with peagravel and sand, make it predator proof and a lot more!

Wish me luck

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  4. dixygirl

May 14, 2008
    Still working on it [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  5. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi dixygirl,
    I think your duck run really looks nice! I really do especially think the arched door is super cute and I may borrow that idea for my hen's door!

It looks like you've provided a lot of variety for those ducks, I'm sure they will appreciate it! Great job finding low cost materials & for transplanting your native plants too! I have probably a 1/4 acre of those indian strawberries I can't wait for my chickens to start tearing up!

Keep up the good work![​IMG]

6. dixygirl

May 14, 2008
    Thanks so much. to cut the door I used a circular saw on the sides. I switched to a jig saw for the arch. I had just drawn the shape on the wood free hand with a pen. I got the tools at a thrift store and always knew they would come in handy for something.

The stain on the coop looks pink for some reason in the pictures. It is really a ashy brown.

PS Body flight, thanks for the parachute idea. The structure of this is going to be peaked because of the tall boards in the center. I am going to hang netting on top too but the parachute over top for days with inclimate weather would allow them to enjoy themselves more

I saw some pretty rainbow colored parachutes too
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  7. Paegglvr

Paegglvr Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    Looks great so far!

The sod is a great idea... I just tried putting down grass seed with straw over it. Needless to say, any grass that sprouts just gets eaten... so I still just have dirt.

I've been planning on building an enclosure with a pond in it for my ducks also. They're afraid of my kiddie pool... so maybe sinking it into the ground like you did might make them less afraid.

8. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I think you're doing a fantastic job and it looks great! Your ducks are going to love it!

9. dixygirl

May 14, 2008
    Quote:Yes Paegglvr, I had the same problems. My ducks are are afaid of their pool too when it it sitting up high.

10. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Looks good so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by