Woods Coop Complete...mostly

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Yeppers, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Yeppers

Yeppers Chirping

Apr 27, 2019
    NW Illinois
    All,

Finally completed my 8X14 woods coop. I am pretty happy with it. I think it is positioned to last 30 years or more. Wanted to share some pics. Thanks to all of your input here. It was pivotal in building a good product. I still need to build some steps into the coop and the nesting boxes which I am working on.

The girls (and boy) are pretty happy with it. I need to build a ramp to the roost and a poop board. My silkies are still a bit young and are in a small upside down rabbit cage. The others are becoming familiar with them. Just takes a little time. As you can see my lab is extremely curious.

Enjoy!

Chris
    IMG_1222.jpg IMG_1224.jpg IMG_1230.jpg IMG_1229.jpg IMG_1232.jpg

2. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    :clapoh very nice! I have heard of Woods coops but had never seen one. Well done, looks roomy, neat and nifty! Has lots of sunshine, are those all glass windows? If the chooks don't like it, it would make a great Tiny House for a real person, methinks! ;)

3. Yeppers

Yeppers Chirping

Apr 27, 2019
    NW Illinois
    Windows on the sides and up top. The side windows slide on a base board from left to right. The upper windows are set on pulleys and rope so I can open and close them without a ladder. They stay open all summer and will be closed all winter. No windows on the front by design. Just good ol' fresh air and hardware cloth.

It is funny you say that about the tiny house. My wife and I said if it doesn't work out as a coop, with a little work, it could be a little getaway. :cool:

4. Steven Bussell

Steven Bussell Songster

May 5, 2019
    Bay Area Calif
    Nice job on framing and finish work...
    Your either a will prepared homeowner or a tradesman.... nice collection of ladders...

5. Yeppers

Yeppers Chirping

Apr 27, 2019
    NW Illinois
    Thanks Steve. Just an avid craftsman. There are plenty of mistakes in there. I covered them well.:)

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Nice job..it sure is RED!!
    Is the door meshed?

SheShed!

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    LOVE IT! And I love the bold color!
    Mary

8. Yeppers

Yeppers Chirping

Apr 27, 2019
    NW Illinois
    You sound like my wife.

9. Yeppers

Yeppers Chirping

Apr 27, 2019
    NW Illinois
    Yes. The door has hardware cloth on it. The more fresh air exchange the better. especially in the summer heat. Yah, the red stood out a little stronger than barn board red like we planned. We like it though.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I suppose you'll cover that tight come winter?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: