Woods coop foundation

Bcampo

Chirping
Jan 19, 2019
Baltimore, Maryland
Hi all,
Just finished our foundation for my 8x12 woods coop that is coming this week. It is built into a slight incline. My question is should I put drain tile across the front? Will that small shed roof deposit enough water to worry about? I’d like to avoid gutters if possible. As you can see there is 2 in small rock bed in the foundation and bc of the hill, the back part will be raise thus providing air circulation for drying. The slope runs from front to back. What do you think?
Thank you!
3BE8ADD7-1D54-4974-82D1-BE842CAE03EE.jpeg
6E2CC148-33F7-4440-BFDB-2EC1EE5716F2.jpeg
E2952969-63DC-4F94-980B-0B2DBD4D38E9.jpeg

Ps- I’ll be adding cinder blocks in the middle of each side.

Since you are going DELUXE all the way, putting drain tiles in the front will take out the worry of accumulated rain water. How much rain do you encounter annually??? More than average, or less than average for area you live in.
I was reading a post about woods coop, in your general area. They built it raised and therefore do not have a water issue. Yours is in the ground in the front, so things are different. Here is a link to their post so you can view and possibly take in some IDEAS.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/woods-coop-interior-pictures.1294130/#post-21232543
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Since you are going DELUXE all the way, putting drain tiles in the front will take out the worry of accumulated rain water. How much rain do you encounter annually??? More than average, or less than average for area you live in.
I was reading a post about woods coop, in your general area. They built it raised and therefore do not have a water issue. Yours is in the ground in the front, so things are different. Here is a link to their post so you can view and possibly take in some IDEAS.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/woods-coop-interior-pictures.1294130/#post-21232543
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome
Thanks, I decided to put it in, not too much more work and remembering last summer’s terrible rains. Better safe than sorry!

Thanks, I decided to put it in, not too much more work and remembering last summer’s terrible rains. Better safe than sorry!
Good idea!
Might want to go around the sides too?
Wonders about water getting underneath and if it would get held up the by the down slope timbers on the ground?
Also will you add an apron to keep pests, and chickens, from getting underneath there?
Looking forward to seeing your coop!

Yes for the sides. Should I use the perforated drain tile for the sides? I know definitely for the front but not sure if I should go to solid tubing for sides.
Yes I’m definitely going to add the apron for predators. I’m thinking I’ll go down with it instead of on the ground as I wanted to top the sides with pea gravel. Did you notice I put the hardware cloth under the foundation stones too? No groundhogs for me!!

That 4x6 would be a lot stronger with th 4" side up and/ or supported along its run. Leave it like it is and set those cinder blocks on 1/3 spacings under it. The push up on the beam and space rocks uner to have it tight to the beam and pout a bag of concrete under to set up as a footer.

Most slide in building are designed to sit on a no givavble stone bed. That 4x6 is going to give with the weight of that building.

That 4x6 would be a lot stronger with th 4" side up and/ or supported along its run. Leave it like it is and set those cinder blocks on 1/3 spacings under it. The push up on the beam and space rocks uner to have it tight to the beam and pout a bag of concrete under to set up as a footer.

Most slide in building are designed to sit on a no givavble stone bed. That 4x6 is going to give with the weight of that building.
Not sure what you mean about the footer reference. I’m putting solid cinders in the middle of each side. Will that be enough?

Back
Top Bottom