Woods-Style Coop Construction---Help appreciated

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Arielle, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I looked at the diagrams for building a WOods-style coop.

Q Are the spaced between the rafter left open for air movement? I'm rereading everything, hoping for one sentence that addresses this. I know the old building left them open for air flow, but not sure on the Woods design. WOuldn't the cold air come in and fall on the birds on their roost, or is the pocket of warm air enough to protect the birds??

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    No, the ends of the rafters are sealed. NO extra vents there.

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Completely sealed? Only the doors and windows for air movement? OR are the rafters at the top left open?

4. JackE

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    COMPLETELY sealed. You will get plenty of air flow through the windows, including the upper monitor windows, as long as they are the proper size. Don't chinze out and put in little baby windows. And yes, both ends of the upper rafters are sealed. You leave them open, and you get some hard winter winds blowing at the open front, and you will create a windtunnel in there in the winter, and you don't want that. You want the back of the coop to be tight. You'll get plenty of winter air exchange through the open front. Don't have to re-invent the wheel here. This is a proven design, no need to mess with it.

1 person likes this.
  5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

6. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Good luck! :)

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    THanks!!!

Roof is 2/5 plywooded.
    Back wall is complete
    2 side walls need onw small peice each.

THen hang windows at monitor , and put in a temporary wall.

A few little errror here and there, but a little thinking finds a solution. MOstly made of scrap plywood, old wooden shipping containers, and old windows. Rafters were new 2x4 16 " apart and the walls are old PT for corner posts and base of walls. New 2x3's for wall supports.

Lots of screws though. GOes fast and easy to fix if a problem. lol Nails for the roof. Plan to paper it for now . . . rolls of asphalt shingling later .

8. uphilljill

uphilljill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Southern Adirondacks, NY
    Glad to see you've started building your coop! Is there a link to the Woods-style coop diagrams, or other info online? Would love to see what you're working on!

9. JackE

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Check out pgs 34 and 36 of the online book. Pg 34 shows a diagram of the way they built the eaves. Pg 36 talks more about building the eaves.

10. JackE

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Here's a link to the online book: http://archive.org/stream/openairpoultryho00wood#page/n0/mode/2up
    You can look at one finished by looking at the Wood's coop in winter post. It has pics of the outside and interior.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by