Woodstove Ashes

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bluelight320, Jan 1, 2017.

1. bluelight320

bluelight320 Just Hatched

Jan 1, 2017
    Gettysburg, PA
    I'm not sure if this is the appropriate section of these forums for this question but.....

I read somewhere that ash from a wood stove is good for chickens as a dirt bath. Anyone have any experiences with this?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I use mine in the deep bedding in my coop. I've heard they're natural pesticides. Not sure about that, but I never have any issues with parasites.

My birds actively seek out my ash piles from our burn piles, so I figure they know something about it and I should follow their lead.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Just be very, VERY, VERY sure that those ashes are stone cold before you put them in coop or run! What do you have in your run right now? Bare soil, grass, or deep litter? The ashes should be a good addition.

As observed by DonRae, I've also observed my birds dust bathing in an old burn pile when they have the opportunity to free range. They also like to eat the little bits of charcoal. Don't be surprised when your birds have black poop!!!

5. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    We use a mixture of wood ash and peat moss for the dust bath. Chickens seem to love it, they patiently wait as their tub is being filled then they all try to get in at the same time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by