1. Malbri

Malbri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    Who uses it, and do you wet it down? If you dont wet it down is there a risk of a chicken swallowing it?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

?????????? What is woody pet?

3. Malbri

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    It's a pelleted bedding

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ah. Never heard of it sorry! Maybe this bump will get an answer for you.

5. valmom

valmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    Vermont
    I use Woody Pet for the horses and just of course put it in for the girls. You do have to wet it so it breaks up- the wood pellets in a chicken house just aren't useful. I dump a bag in a big wheelbarrow and dump water on it and stir. Let sit a day, stir again to get any pellets and damp spots mixed in again, let it sit to dry if it needs to (I only let it dry for the chickies- the horses get it damp:cool:) and spread in the henhouse.

I love it because I can "clean" my henhouse with a kitty litter scoop. Granted, I only have 7 hens right now and it isn't a huge deal.[​IMG]

6. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Quote:Hi valmom! [​IMG] I use it for everyone, too. And it will last for ever (at least w/ my 3). I dampened down 1/2 bag and it was plenty (when exploded) for my 4x8 coop. Like valmom, I use a kitty litter scoop (w/ a long handle--found it at PetStupid) to scoop poop every a.m. and I put it in a covered trash can for my gardener SIL. So the henhouse is always pristinely clean!

It comes by other names than Woody Pet -- my TSC usually carries "Equine Pine." But what you're looking for is "pelletted horse bedding," basically. It may seem expensive, but one bag goes a LONG way and b/c it's compacted, you get more for your money and it's easier to handle and store.

7. angels4

angels4 Chillin' With My Peeps

I use wood pellets.....Similar to the type used in pellet stoves, yet made to be used as equine bedding check out www.guardianhorsebedding.com although I don't use this particular brand I use one which is very similar purchased at my local feed store for $7.00 per 40lb bag. Initially I bought 3 40lb bags, dampened 2 of them so they would expand (making them more absorbent) and dumped them into the run (which by the way is covered)...now all I do is go out and scoop out the soiled bits (think kitty litter box on a much larger scale) and top off with more pellets to maintain a depth of about 3-4 inches. I don't dampen the pellets I use to top off with as they break down rather easlily. Initally I though my girls would get confused and try to eat the pellets but I've had no issues. When I went out today the girls were having themselves a nice group dust bath.

8. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I have been using Equine Fresh pellets from TSC since the beginning of November. I did not wet them, but with the first cold snap, the condensation from the wood floor and from the chickens scratching, they all broke down on their own. The ones I scooped up under the roost with the poop yesterday were only partially broken down. I put 4-40lb bags and 2 bales of aspen chips in a 8 by 8 coop on Nov 2nd. So far even at the doorway it has remained dry and we have had nothing but rain and ice this year. I added some pellets and chips yesterday for the first time. I like the fine pieces they turn into, it doesn't seem to mat down like chips. Only 3 more months of winter until I can tell how they really work, but so far I like them.

9. Malbri

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    Oh wow this thread is back to life. I have been using woody pet since I started this thread. For my little ones in the basement I wet it first and it lasts sooo long(and I dont go through with a kitty litter scoop or anything) and I only add a little water for the big kids, and there is barely any stink in there.

10. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have often wondered about this same thing so now I'm going to try it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by