WOOHOO....1st EGG!...Update W/ pics

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ThunderStruck, Jun 19, 2007.

1. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Sterling, Ohio
    About 15 mins ago.

Well, it all started abt sunday or so.. one of our RIR's Louise has been acting kinda goofy. She was pacing back and forth in the run, running in and out of the coup, wanting to climb up on my head, lap, arms and legs, trying to nest under the roost..just acting all upitty and such. So i thought that she was getting ready to lay. I felt just below her vent and felt a lump (dont know if that was the egg or not), i also noticed that her hips had widened out a bit. I also noticed the other girls (we have 3 other, another RIR, A buff orp, and a B.R) following her around like they were waiting for something lol. BTW, they are all about 18 wks old now. then not much happened yesterday. so today i go out to give em their morning treat and let them out into the run and the same thing was going on. Except this time Jo-Jo the barred rock was making such a LOUD racket i fig something was up. so for the next couple of hours im out there like every 10 mins or so just checking on them. Then about an hour or so ago i go out there and they are all in the coup with Louise kinda laying in the corner under the roost and the other 3 standing over her just watching the show i guess lol. Jo-Jo is still making such a racket i could here it all the way in the house. so i close the door and go into my shop which is about 15 feet from the coup and run. I was in there maybe 3 mins..maybe. so i walk out the back and i seem em all out in the run again this time all is quiet and they are just standing around enjoying a cool beverage (water) like nothing was going on. so i then go and peek in the back door....and there it was, a perfectly shaped, light brown almost rose colored, little bundle of succulent goodness.. [​IMG]. about the size of a large walnut. I must admit i was so happy that i did a lil jig right then and there [​IMG] Very sim to the Tequila dance that PeeWee hermon did in the movie...The guy in the next property over must of thought i had finally lost it all lol. I'll tell you what that lil egg makes all the construction, late nights, early mornings, worrying, and running all over southern Nevada looking for the right feed and stuff..it makes it all worth while! BTW, sorry for the long read, but i am sure ya understand [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  2. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    YAY for you!!! It's so exciting getting your first egg...my Dh thought I had lost my mind also, [​IMG]!

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

[​IMG] It is so very eggciteing to get that first one. Heck....I still get excited to gather egg...never know how many will be there. Congrats!! In a few weeks...they will get larger. Yummmmmmmy

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG] Give her a nice, big grape for me!

6. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Very exciting!!!!! I can't wait!!! [​IMG]

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Congrats on the first egg!!! it's always special.

8. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Awesome.nothing like the first egg......I still love gathering eggs. something about it calms my soul.............congrats.....
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Terrific! YAY for you and your girl on her first egg!!!!! I love gathering eggs, it makes me smile and I thank my girls for the gifts they give me every day.[​IMG]

10. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Awesome - you put it all into words perfectly! Now I CAN'T WAIT for my girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by