Woohoo! $25 coop w/pics just needs wire, I think

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by noodleroo, Sep 11, 2010.

1. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I put a WTB add in 'toys' on Craigslist and got an email from someone 2 blocks from where I live! $25.00 delivered! I'm so excited to finish it for a coop for my 5 backyard chickens and I'd like some ideas from my BYC network. All suggestions are welcome.
    Here's the front:
    [​IMG]
    here's the back:
    [​IMG]
    Here's a side with a little window with a shutter (so cute):
    [​IMG]
    And a pic of the little table inside:
    [​IMG]
    I live in South Texas where the winters are very mild. It may get down to freezing only once or twice a year, and, some years it never freezes. I figure if I put wire in the big open spaces, that is probably enough for protection as long as I secure the doors and windows. I can always cover it with a blanket if it gets really cold. What do y'all think?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    How about a bump. Anybody?

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I saw on here today about someone who converted a Lil tykes playhouse into a coop. I think they had it sitting inside their run. I have seen others, too. Type in play house coops into the search box and see what comes up.

4. UrbanChick101

UrbanChick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    [​IMG]

I think its a great find for the appropriate climate. Texas would be the place. Make it predator proof, I too have seen them placed in secure pens. Get that hardware cloth on there and secure the doors, seems like you have an awesome plan. It would be nice to have a tikes coop, as they are easily washable. However, in Iowa, I wouldn't want to mess with getting it insulated and so forth. Congrats on the find!!! I have a childs playhouse coop too.. although you can't pass up $25.00!!! If you have a heavy breed, like Orpington's and Such, you probably won't have to worry much when it dips to numbers around freezing. Have the roosts with the broad side up so they can sit on thier feet. They would probably huddle and produce enough heat to stay warm without much effort on your part.

5. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Yep, I have Orpingtons. 4 pullets and 1 SLW roo. They free range in the back yard during the day and sleep in the tractor at night. I have 16 eggs in the incubator right now and the tractor will be perfect for the babies. I think this little playhouse will be so cute for a coop. Thanks for the advice; I'm excited to get started on it...

6. bigdogmom130

bigdogmom130 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Just finished my playhouse coop and my babies love it! Worked out great. Gonna winterize soon with some expand -a - foam. Yours is cute and will make a cool coop!

7. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:Do you have any pics? I'd love to see it. I'm thinking of putting a nest box where the litte table is so I can access it from the little window. Also, did you leave your's on the ground or lift it up on cinder blocks or something?

8. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I just found out it even has a little door bell and it works! Its just so darn cute....

9. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Looks great ! heres what i would do...
    1) put it up on a pallet or make some legs for it because you wont want to bend over to clean it out... [​IMG]

2) Cover windows with wire ( like you already mentioned [​IMG] )

3) Insulate it... I know its kind of a job that you would say " why would i ever do that" but i suggest it especially where you live.. there was another post on BYC about a guy who came up with a brilliant idea of how to insulate the little tykes play houses.
    He drilled holes every couple of inches and then sprayed the expanding foam in it. Assuming that your playhouse it like two walls with air between them....

4) You can always paint it [​IMG] of course you dont have to but thats one of the fun jobs hehe you can get spray paint for plastic and draw up your painting desings ! Many people paint theres red and white like a little barn [​IMG]

5) personally I would cut a piece of wood to fit in the bottom on the playhouse for the inside because it looks like there are grooves that (excuse my language ) crap will get stuck in.
    so I would cut some wood to fit and cover it with heavy duty exterior paint or lenolium...

This is just what I would do; ) but you can do whatever you please
    And That is a great find !! [​IMG] enjoy your cute lil coop [​IMG]

10. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Quote:Awe ! That is just too darn cute ! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by