1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Woohoo! 4 emu chicks... and counting!

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by ChanceRider, Mar 20, 2012.

1. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Enoch, my wonderful brooder boy, came through again this year! Today, 4 of the cutest emu chicks hatched, plus there are still 4 eggs under him. It's an emu chick jackpot! I'm already sad thinking that two of them will move to a new home this weekend. Since they're going to a relative nearby, we'll have frequent visits.

I'll try to post pics when I get to my laptop. Woot!! Happy dancing :)

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Congrats! I didn't know the males hatched the eggs.

3. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Yep, with emus it's the male who sits on the nest for roughly 56 days. They're such fascinating creatures to me, so inquisitive and prehistoric looking. And I *think* there's another hatchling this morning :D

4. VannahRAe

VannahRAe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2012
    Hohenwald, TN
    Congrates! Can't wait to see pics:) I'm thinking about getting a couple emu babies

5. SeramaChick

SeramaChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    L.A.
    I dearly want an emu. Just moved to a new house with a nice empty yard & barn! Can't wait to hear more about yours!

6. KaPaDeLeo

KaPaDeLeo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2009
    Hey Chace Rider! How are the Emu babies doing? I love them when they are tiny! Oh BTW, what's up with 13 chickens? :)

7. KaPaDeLeo

KaPaDeLeo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2009
    Hey Chance Rider! How are the Emu babies doing? I love them when they are tiny! Oh BTW, what's up with 13 chickens? :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by