WooHoo!!! candled 21 eggs-PICS added

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlisa, Apr 16, 2008.

1. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    We (DD and I) saw veins and a dark spot in 19 out of 21 duck eggs! And 1 didn't really count as it was a teeny weenie egg about 3/4" big. I just put it in to see if anything would happen with it. So out of 20 regular sized eggs, 19 look wonderful. I know not to count my duckies before they hatch though- still 3 weeks to go, but for a newbie, this is great so far I think!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just wanted to keep you updated.
    Lisa

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  2. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    congrats!! [​IMG]
    I want some ducks! But must wait til house is purchased. [​IMG]

3. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    19 out of 20 that's great!

Keep growing little quackers.

4. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    Thanks-that's what we were saying too. Quack, quack. as we watched the little hearts(?) beating. We saw movement in the little dark spots so we were thinking it was their hearts beating. Not sure though. The one egg that doesn't have veins is clear- should it be thrown out now or wait and see....its day 7...
    Lisa

5. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    Here are a few pix- I'll admit not the best clarity. I need to learn how to take pix with no flash and get better results.
    See the veins in this egg? Its a duck egg either Pure Swedish, Pure Cayuga or mixed:
    [​IMG]
    another one:
    [​IMG]
    more:
    [​IMG]
    So is that little moving thing the embryo and is its heart beating? Is that the thing I see moving?
    I'm in awe!
    Lisa

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yes, it is. You have live duck embryos developing in there.

Congrats! [​IMG]

7. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    That is fantastic, and I love the pictures. It's totally exciting.

8. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    if 1 of the eggs looked clear, should I keep it in the bator or toss it out? Is there any chance of it having veins and growth that I couldn't see like the other 19? Or could it start to grow just later than the rest?
    Lisa

9. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I would keep that clear egg in there till the next time you candle - then if it is still clear take it out

very cool pics - I hatched some ducks almost 2weeks ago it was so cool to see them grow and to hatch and now the 3 of them are all over the brooder making a HUGE mess LOL

congrats - and good luck with your hatch

Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by