WOOHOO First Buff Silkie egg UPDATE 3/30

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SundownWaterfowl, Mar 21, 2009.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I got my first buff silkie egg yesterday afternoon. [​IMG] [​IMG]

They are 6 months 2 weeks old, so I wasnt expecting eggs for another 2 months or so. I guess its time to start pairing them up and starting the layer pellets. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Congrats!

I wouldn't pair them with a rooster just yet though, unless the male is nearly the same age. If your roo is mature, he may me a bit to heavy for their still developing bodies. I'm always apprehensive about injuries on young females.

3. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:The rooster is the same age as the hens. [​IMG]

4. Poulets De Cajun

Quote:Then you're good to go! My buff pullets grew up with their male so they've been together from day one. Now hopefully it wont be long before your male is fertile and you'll be able to start hatching!!!

5. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:Then you're good to go! My buff pullets grew up with their male so they've been together from day one. Now hopefully it wont be long before your male is fertile and you'll be able to start hatching!!!

How old do the roosters have to be before they become fertile?

6. Poulets De Cajun

Its probably largely circumstancial. In my case my pullets started laying around October/November, whereas my Roo wasn't producing until the beginning of February. I tried AI'ing him in January but it was all clear. He is probably just now a year old, or a month shy of it, and his fertility still isn't up to speed. Its still very spotty. I've been told that Roo's dont reach FULL maturity until 18 months but I dont know how true that is.

7. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:wow. I hope hes fertile long before that. Im going to stick the egg in the incubator just to see what happens. Im guessing I should probably also trim around the vents?

8. Poulets De Cajun

That'd be up to you. I'd rather AI than trim feathers, but thats my preference. I have friends who trim instead of AI. It's all personal preference...

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Congratulations!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. SundownWaterfowl

Thanks! I just checked them again, and I got another egg! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by