WOOHOO!! First egg from my AMAZING mix!! Love her! PIC HEAVY!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mychookschick, Dec 27, 2010.

1. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    I was so thrilled! I just had to post something! I am so proud!

Whoops... Better start at the beginning! LOL

Well, back in August (Sunday, the 22nd to be exact) I hatched my very first chick! Well, technically, I didn't hatch her... Eunice did! LOL Anyways, she has been growin' like a weed! And I have trouble with a weasel who took a liking to the chickens so, we evacuated the coop and built a temporary coop. But, Winchester (LOL Daddy is Remington) and Toot Sweet (Winnie and Tootsie fro short) were getting picked on in the tight quarters and cold so I separated them (they are best friends) in a box with a heat lamp. They are about a month and a half apart in age... Tootsie being older. Oh, Winnie is a Golden Comet (sexlink) X Buff Orp and Tootsie is a pure Buff Orp that I bought at 3 months old. You may have heard about Tootsie in some of my other posts... She is half blind... [​IMG] But, she gets around just fine and enjots playing with Winnie [​IMG] . I'm getting off track! So, anyway I was VERY HAPPY to find in their box on Sunday, the 26th, Winnie's VERY FIRST EGG!! It was so tiny and cute! LOL I ran all through the house and woke everyone up making sure they saw it! LOL She was exactly 18 weeks old when she did it (or 4 months and 5 days)! Then I got another egg the VERY NEXT DAY (today)!! It was a little but bigger but, just as cute and beautiful! I thought it very unusual for her to pick it up that quickly! I thought they usually ramped up to full production (especially this time of year)!

So here is a pic of my new layer:
    [​IMG]

A pic with her buddy:
    [​IMG]

A pic of the first one:
    [​IMG]

A pic of the second one:
    [​IMG]

A size comparison between the two (it is obvious which is which):
    [​IMG]

A pic with a normal size Golden Comet egg and a quarter in there:
    [​IMG]

Sorry for so many but I get pretty carried aaway with pics! LOL

I hope that you enjoy! I plan to experiment with this mix in the spring!! I truly believe it is going to be amazing! Because you get the great laying from the Comets and the broodiness from the Orps, while diluting some of the laying problems that come with Comets! YAY!! I will have to make another thread later to tell you how it turns out!! Thanks for looking!!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

3. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    great news.
    I have had chickens for a long time and still feel like it is Christmas when I pick up eggs.
    It's just fun.[​IMG]

4. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Congrats, and the more pics the better!! [​IMG]

5. Rivers

Rivers Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2010
    I jealous, my hens are about 22weeks old now and havent laid a thing.

6. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    [​IMG] [​IMG]:weee

7. caveman

caveman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    Hawaii
    Wow, thats great!! My RIR's just started laying last week at 18 weeks, but the size of thier eggs has not increased nearly as fast as yours. Love the pics!!

8. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:Wow... What breed are they?! I guess thats about right though... I've just done early maturers for awhile I guess.... LOL

What do you all think of her... Her coloring, and benfits to being a mix? What do you all prefer... Mixes or purebreds? Do you think my idea of a wonderful mix is correct? Or am I going to be disappointed?

Thanks for all who are honest in their answers!

My Chooks Chick

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats! [​IMG]

10. believer01

believer01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Those girls of yours are beautiful! I love how the one is sitting on your arm!

I'm either jealous or confused........

Got my first hens in April, so I'm new to all this egg laying stuff. I have 4 older girls, 1 is a Silkie mix who lays tiny eggs.

Aug 2 Peek-a-boo was hatched from a fertilized egg 'borrowed' from a neighbor to satisfy a broody. Looks like she's mostly RIR. This Sun she'll be 5 months old and I don't think she's laid the first egg yet. There have been some small eggs, but her legs are still deep orange. How soon after they start to lay do their legs lose the coloring?

Should I be worried if Peek doesn't start to lay soon? Thought perhaps it was due to the cold weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by