Woohoo First hatch got 4 chicks so far

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cjexotic, Mar 28, 2009.

1. cjexotic

cjexotic Cj's Mandarin Ducks

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    I have 2 that hatched last night (think they are splash) and two today white. Really not due to hatch until tomorrow. Plenty of pipping going on. I am so excited. Will send pictures on monday.. got company can't do it now darn it. [​IMG] Thanks for all your help and will let you know now many I get..
    cj

2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    we want pics!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. cjexotic

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    here are the pictures. Could someone tell me if the dark ones with silver on the heads are splash.. please tell me they are.. please please.

Have question started out with 44 eggs. After 1st candling 13 were questionable. After second candling (2 weeks) 13 clear. On day 18 two bad.
    Leaving 29 to hatch. day 18 was thursday. Two hatch friday night the two black with silver heads. Most hatched on saturday with 5 to have on sunday. Sunday being their 21 day mark. 20 hatched so far. I have one with a bad foot or upper leg. Still in incubator with the 9 eggs. No pipping on the balance of the eggs. How long do I leave them before calling it quits?
    And if you say pull the plug is this a good hatch rate for shipped eggs and a newbie on incubation? Thanks
    Also there is a red looking one is that going to be a buff. It had b on the egg so I thought of black.. never even came to mind a buff possilbly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Congratulations! I'd say that is an excellent first time hatch. Basically the infertile eggs are not to be counted, so a 65-70% hatch rate is nothing to complain about. Of course some of the others may still hatch, improving those percentages. I'd give them another 2 days or so to incubate before dismissing them as non-hatchers! Great job and pics are always a bonus!

6. cjexotic

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    Thank you Thank you.. Is the first two pics of a splash or black or?
    And is the last one a buff? Thanks cj

7. cjexotic

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    Hi Ruditchka,

When you say give a couple more days. Would that like be Wednesday.. since they were due on sunday. Or would that be tomorrow when I get home from work? I sure hate to shut it down, but know I have to sometime.
    Thanks for your help. cj

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by