Woohoo have an EE egg!!!

Kimberbach

Chirping
May 18, 2016
NE Louisiana
I had almost given up.... my Dom hens (3) have been giving 1-3 eggs daily but my lil EE (3) nothing!!! With the time change and temps finally getting more Fall like I'd decided it would be alot longer. 2 EE are around 7-8 months and the other 6 ish.
But this afternoon WALAA!! Would you classify as a blue or green egg?
Now to find out if it was Raven or Cleopatra (Can you tell my teenage son is a Theater junkie?? I guess he could have Japanese since hes also a Karate fiend! LOL) laid it...:weee

It's blue/green
wink.png

Really hard to say and even harder to photograph.
Congrats!

BTW the time change means nothing to chickens, they can't read clocks...
...still same amount of sunlight per day.

Pullets will often lay thru their first winter.
By examining vents and pelvic points of your known layers and the non layers,
you should be able to tell which EE laid that beauty.

Vent:
Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

Beautiful! Waiting for the first egg from our 3 gals- born 6/15/16 - could be soon for our Black Australorp. And then our Buff Orpington. Our Easter Egger slowly developing- not much comb or wattles yet....

I almost would call that mint. We have two that look very similar to yours. At first both were laying eggs that color, now our black EE is laying an olive color. I guess it took her a few times to add the brown coating.

Congratulations to all that got eggs today! I got my very first ever today from my white Cochin pullet (hatched May 4)
Happy dance to all.
1f413.png
1f413.png
1f413.png
1f413.png
1f413.png
1f413.png
1f413.png
1f413.png

BTW can't wait until my EES start laying but I think it'll be awhile. They're only 14 weeks.
What age did yours start to lay?

Last edited:
My EE's started laying at about 16 weeks. I thought they were late in starting, but from what I am reading, they began laying at an early age. My Black Australorps started earlier than that. Must be that good Wyoming fresh air! LOL

Back
Top Bottom