1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Woohoo! I scored a free working incubator!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by homesteadmomma, Jun 14, 2011.

1. homesteadmomma

homesteadmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Parke Co. Indiana
    I have it plugged in for testing, but so far it all looks good. It's a styrofoam older still air incubator that my father-in-law used for hatching some turkey eggs for years with pretty good success, and mind you, he wasn't the best at remembering to check on them. I will leave it plugged in overnight and check it in the morning. I have a thermometer in there and a humidity reader (yep- I can't think of the name off the top of my head, it's 1:30 am and I have 3 toddlers). I do believe all of the parts are their except for the plugs that help with lowering the humidity, but I'm sure I can figure something out. Now I will spend the next few days reading up on how to do this, but since I have no layers right now, I wondered what the chances were of finding a nice local farmer that would let me test out a few fertile eggs. I would return the chicks if they wanted them or pay for the eggs, but I would really like to have a few practice rounds before I try to buy my dream eggs. Is this a good idea?

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Check craigslist. There's probably people selling eggs on there for eating. Call and ask if they have roosters, chances are if they do they'll sell you some eggs for hatching. Good luck!

3. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Free is good! I'm plumb tickled for you. [​IMG]

You know, I am waiting for the post office to call me right now to tell me my eggs have arrived. The eggs I got are from good stock, and THIS IS MY FIRST TIME! [​IMG]

Maybe I should have waited, but I wanted them so I got them. If I mess them up, well it will be an expensive lesson learned. But I feel I could have done a lot worse with my money. But if I hadn't seen these particular eggs from a breed I have wanted badly, I would have just got something inexpensive or free to practice on.

4. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

We've lost those little plugs, too. I use a piece of duct tape to cover the holes when I need them covered. It comes off easy and the same piece can be used again and again.

Heaven only knows what happened to mine.

Congrats on the new incubator!

Blessings-
    Em

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:Part of the reason I think mine works so good is once the temp is right I just leave it alone every few days I top the water tray up but for the most part I just forget about it. then 19-25 days later I have serema ,quail or partridge [​IMG]

6. ChickenCrazy01

ChickenCrazy01 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    [​IMG] on the free incubator. I hope you are able to find some cheap eggs to practice on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by