WOOHOO! My frist chicks of the year are here!!

ninny

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
IL side of the QCA
My first chicks are here and doing great. My DH want to the feed store and got me 5 brown leghorn pullets, 5 RIR pullets, 5 buff orpingintons, 2 straight run RIR. We hope that we get a least one roo hence the two SR birds. Now i just have to get some easter eggers and some wellsummers or cuckoo marrans.

They are too cute! Some of them still have their egg tooth. I just love the leghorn colors. They look like little chipmunks.

A leghorn and a buff were falling asleep leaning on each other and fell over. It was too sweet to be real. They weren't eating and i was getting kinda nervous so hubby took out the feeder. Once it was out they came running to eat the food on the paper towel. I guess they thought it was gonna fall on them or something.

I gonna watch then super close and mark there heads if i think its a rooster. I want to see if i can pick them out.

When can i wing and leg band them? Who sells them they cheapest?

Ill get pics if i can.

Congrats on the new babies!!!! wooohooo!!!
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Congrats on the new babies!! I'm jealous though, since our feed store doesn't get any babies until the middle of April up here. I think we are going to order ours through McMurray this year, so we can get exactly what we want (well, for the most part anyway from what I've been reading). The ones we have picked out still won't arrive until April though, so I guess I'll keep living vicariously through all of you!
big_smile.png
Post pics if you can, we'd love to see them!

Congratulations on your new babies. I buy leg bands. The birds grow so fast I just order the adult size of what ever breed I want to band. I have read of some using nail polish on the birds toenails. Here is where I get my leg bands. There are other places. Google either poultry leg bands or chicken leg bands.

http://shilala.homestead.com/tags.html
"The Easy Chicken Poultry and Supply"

Kelly Chewning
1602 Salem Road
DuBois, PA 15801
(814)-583-5374
Email: [email protected]

Guideline Chart for Bird Leg Band Sizes
No. Band Size Physical Size Fits
2 1/8" Canaries, day old Quail
3 5/32" Parakeet, 1-4 week old Quail, Doves, Cockatiels, Guinea keets
4 1/4" Baby Chicken, Coturnix Quail, small Pigeon, adult Bobwhite Quail
5 5/16" Pheasant hen, Tumblers, medium Pigeon, Homers, Wood Duck
6 3/8" Pheasant cocks, month old Chickens, large Pigeons, Chukar Partridge
7 7/16" Ringneck Pheasants, Mallards, Wild Ducks, Bantams, Feather Leg and Runt Pigeons
9 9/16" Wild Ducks, Pheasants, Leghorn hens, Ancona, Silkie, Gamebirds
10 5/8" Wild Turkey, Minorcas, Cross breeds, adult Guineas
11 11/16" Rock hens, Wyandottes, Rhode Island Red hens, Leghorn cocks, medium Ducks: Runners, Swedish, Harlequin
12 3/4" Wild Geese, Rocks, Turkey hens, Geese, Jersey Giants, Orpingtons, larger Ducks: Pekins, Rouens, Muscovy
14 7/8" Canada Geese, Turkeys, Honkers, Jersey Giant Cocks

Back
Top Bottom