WOOHOO!!! (Pictures) ~UPDATE, IT WORKED~

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Southern28Chick, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I gotta broody, I gotta broody, I gotta broody hey hey hey hey!

So Turkey (EE) is FULL ON BROODY!!!

She tried to go broody last week and I posted a video of her to see if she was showing broody signs. Then she all of a sudden stopped acting broody.

Here's that video:
    [​IMG]

Well DH said she was in the nest box last night and she's been in it all day long today. I want to separate her from the other chickens so I made her a broody house. It's just a dog kennel with a nest box in it. I put her in it and she seemed to snap out of broodiness and wouldn't sit on the eggs. She went back to broody when I put her back in her original nest box. How do I get her moved into the broody house without breaking her? Should I do it at night?
    [​IMG]

Here's Turkey. She's a bit ugly because she was recently pucked bald by Mother Clucker (a RIR that's the head hen).
    [​IMG]
    She's all fluffed up in this picture. She was screaming too.
    [​IMG]

She's sitting on 11 eggs. 2 white leghorn eggs, 1 EE egg, and the rest are a mix of RIR's and Barred Rocks. Lt Colonel Bok Bok loves the Barred Rocks and loves the RIR's even more so I have more of those eggs under her.

So I guess I'll have a bunch of mutts. Lt Colonel Bok Bok is a Dominique so...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  2. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Any advise on how to move her?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Trisha, it's always tricky moving a broody, but your best bet is to do it at night when its dark so she wakes in a new place. Even then, it may not work. All you can do is try. Congrats!

4. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I'm curious and truly do not know - why do you want to move her?

5. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:Because when she gets out of the nest to eat and drink and poop another hen could get in her nest and she'll end up going into a different nest when she comes back. Everything I've read says to separate her.

6. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I tried to move one of my broody hens and she was not having no part of it. I did the same thing with her as you did with your, dog crate and all. Nope, didn't work. Put her back in the nest box with her eggs and there she stayed untile they hatched. Now, I don't even bother moving them when they go broody I just leave them and they hatch what they can and then they go about there chicken lives. After all the momma hen knows how to take care of them better than we do. Good luck!!

edited to add.......mark her eggs with a crayon or a pencil to know what is hers incase someone else lays in her box when she get's up to eat and pop and stuff....

7. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Well what about when the babies hatch and the nest is THREE FEET of the ground? She has to be moved.

8. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Yep I would do it at night. When she cant see whats going on. Good luck. Let us know if it works out ok. I moved a broody banty once during the day. She stood around awhile and I was getting worried. Then she finally went and got back on the eggs. Moved a BR at night no problem at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2008
  9. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:I don't know if it is possible in your situation or not, but I just made a ramp going from ground to nest box that they could get up and down from..... your only options my be to just let them hatch where they are and then move after the hatch

10. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:When my cousin and I moved her broody to her old "goose hutch", we moved her entire "box". She was actually in a large cardboard box. So, we picked up the whole thing and put it in. We moved her first thing in the morning and she never left her clutch. One of us had our hand stroking her back while we did it. The following day we added more eggs under her for a total of 12. She hatched out 8.

Good Luck to you and Congratulations!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by