Woohoo! The Cuteness is Overwhelming! Baby Chicks have arrived :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cointoss, May 11, 2011.

1. cointoss

cointoss Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Gaylordsville, CT
    Ooh, we are all so excited -- our shipment from Meyer arrived first thing (6:30) this am, and all the chicks are very alert and healthy, eating and drinking wonderfully well for the last several hours. So they all made it [​IMG] This was my first time ordreing from a hatchery, our other chicks we bought from local farms or at chicken swaps.

Here you see 7 kinds:
    1 Speckled Sussex
    1 Buff Orp
    1 Silver Lace Wyandotte
    1 Golden Lace Wyandotte
    1 Black Australorp
    2 Welsummer
    2 Ameracauna

At least -- I hope that is what we got! Every one does have slightly different markings, and I've matched them to pics so I think I know who's who. LOL. The Buff Orp and the Australorp are obvious, anyways.

Oh, the joyful sound of cheeping in the house again. LOVE IT!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Absolutely adorable pictures of the kids holding the chicks. [​IMG]: The chicks are cute too BTW.

Congrats!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Adorable shots of the chicks with your children! [​IMG]

4. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    VERY CUTE! I am very happy with my Meyer chicks as well..please tell me what your chipmunk chick it...we have 3 of them and like 5 different breeds all look like chipmunks! [​IMG]

5. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Awwwwwww. I have 5 week old chicks and now I want more babies!

6. cointoss

Oct 1, 2008
    Gaylordsville, CT
    I'm trying to figure out who's who, too. Based on the pics from the hatchery and on here, I came up with this:

The BO is easy! She's yellow. We'll probably name her Buffy, so she can kick butt and keep the flock in line, lol.
    The 3 dark ones are the BA and Wyandottes.
    The other five are the welsummer, EEs, and SS. The sussex has the yellowest belly, and isn't nearly so stripy. The EEs should grow up to be 4 lbs, and the Welsummer 6 lbs, so I'd guess they should be the smallest ones, I need to do more investigation. Check their leg color, etc. Haven't done that yet [​IMG]

7. Momaha

Momaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Sooner Nation WWHQ
    The last pic is my fav! Simply precious and those chicks are really cute too! [​IMG]

8. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    You should put some marbles or clean small stones in the open part of the waterer. Chicks will actually fall asleep with their heads in the water and drown, as well as sit in the water and then get too chilled. (I noticed the chick sitting in your waterer in your photo.) You have SUPER cute babies! [​IMG]

9. Mama Austranought

Mama Austranought Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Western Australia
    Oh, the joyful sound of cheeping in the house again. LOVE IT!

x2 Highly addictive! [​IMG]

10. cointoss

Oct 1, 2008
    Gaylordsville, CT
    Quote:Great idea -- they are pretty feisty and not staying in the water for longer than it takes to drink or walk through it, but I love the idea. We'll go get some stones from outside, wash them and put them in this evening. My son loves ANY reason to collect rocks. Come to think of it, so do I, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by