WOOHOOO Got eggs from my meaties!!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by growinupinfl, Nov 26, 2011.

1. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    Last spring we got a mix of freedom rangers and Cornish Crosses.. And now both breeds are laying pure bred fertilized eggs! We processed 30, and kept 8. 1 roo and 4 hens of each breed and put them on a half acre of land (backyard of the abandoned house next door [​IMG]) They move freely and I would say run but it is more of a lumbering fast paced wattle (makes it really easy to catch them!). They chase bugs scare people half to death by rapidly wattling up to them looking for food! (scared an unexpecting lawn guy into screaming like a little girl when the Cornish Roo ran up to him![​IMG]) They have all filled out but seem to have leveled off on the weight gain. That Cornish Cross Roo is HUGE, if you pick him up it is actually amazing how heavy he is. The freedom Rangers started laying a bit earlier than the Cornish Crosses. But both of the boys seem to be getting the job done and we have been getting fertilized eggs with a nice bulls eye in them. I plan on collecting the eggs this week and in a couple of days hatching out my own meat birds! Yes, Sustainable flocks are possible.

Christal

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  2. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    Congrats on the care that gets CornishXs to laying age. That's no small accomplishment.

Holding back a little, not wanting, but being the one, to burst your bubble. Your reference to "pure bred fertilized eggs" is the issue. The birds you are breeding are hybrids, not pure bred, and will not produce true-to-type.

That's a curt way of saying that you should not expect chicks that will all be CornishXs or Freedom Rangers.

I'll be interested to hear how the hatchlings develop. The genetics of each bird are complex. Expect a range of offspring, but here's hoping they're meaty.

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:X2

4. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    That's pretty awesome! I would like to try that one day... I assume you limit their feed? How much do you feed them every day?
    The fact that they do not breed true is a bit disappointing... from what I've read apparently there are two different strains/lines/'breeds' that only hatcheries have access to and only when a roo from one strain and a hen from the other are crossed do you get cornish crosses. I'm not sure if that is correct, but that is what I read on another thread about breeding cornish crosses. It's also kinda good, though, because it means I'll be able to keep both plymouth rocks and cornish together without worrying about the possibility of hatching out some meaties [​IMG]

5. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    read my BYC page.

6. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    So you said that the true Cornish x is a very poor layer, what if you were to cross your cornish xs to a leghorn then after when they mature breed them back to your cornish xs till you get one that looks just like a Cornish x . So then you will get better egg production [​IMG]

7. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:ya, but that would be almost the worst possible cross to inject better egg production with. It would take you 10 generations to breed that 'lack' of meat back out of them... And I for one, would not be interested in keeping that many of the very unhardy CX birds around for a ton of years or generations.

Any way that you look at it- the Cornish X birds, are not going to breed true. They'll most likely make a meaty type offspring with every combo== but they won't make birds consistantely that look like the original parents that you purchased or with the almost impossible growth rates and yield percentages.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  8. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

we are thinking about getting freedom rangers next year and holding back a few of the best birds to cross with our dual purpose birds.. then keep the best of their offspring and cross them back to either the parent stock or more dual purpose birds. We already know they won't "breed true" and I wouldnt expect them to..however if we keep choosing the meatiest birds and cross them with other meaty birds we should (hopefully) end up with some nice roasters.. heck.. if nothing else they will make good stewing birds or fryers!

9. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    Quote:Point well taken, Sorry for the misspeak.

I think it will be interesting to see what pops out. I wonder at what age will one be able to tell if they are meaties or not. I think the biggest set back we have had is today one of our girls has developed Bumblefoot. She is the smallest of the Cornish Crosses and we weighed her today and she hit the scales at 10 lbs. Everytime I have to mess with one of those birds I always forget that "meat" means muscle, which I am quickly reminded of when they are not happy. Sheesh those birds are strong! I will collect eggs and take a picture of them and we will see what happens.

Christal

10. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Just saying hello and wow..interesting thread.........
    I will be watching for those pictures especially once baby fuzz butts hatch.............

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by