WOOHOOO!! I bought 9 new chickens!!! All Black Stars!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickens-n-Vermont, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Chickens-n-Vermont

Chickens-n-Vermont Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2008
    Poultney Vermont
    I have been looking to add to my eleven hens (2 Buff Orphingtons, 4 Barred Rocks and 5 NH Reds) for the last month, without much luck. But Wednesday, I heard about a couple who had 25 Black Stars for sale. I called them up and inquired about buying nine of them. They were all about 3 1/2 months old and beautiful. I purchased 9 and brought them home yesterday. [​IMG] I will wait about a week before I blend them in with my others. I will post pictures once I let them out and figure out how to upload pictures here. [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Congrats! It's advisable to quarantine any new birds for about four weeks to be sure they dont have any diseases they can pass on to your current flock, though. I sure don't want to be a wet blanket, but some illnesses are serious enough to make them carriers for life, requiring all future birds to be vaccinated or come down with the same disease. So many have just bought birds and put them in with their own because they appeared healthy, only to lose the entire flock to some contagion.
    You need to have photos on an online photo hosting site like www.photobucket.com to upload to BYC.

3. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Yippee!!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Tell you what, after the quarantine and adjustment period, you'll have eggs coming out your ears!

5. Chickens-n-Vermont

Chickens-n-Vermont Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2008
    Poultney Vermont
    Hi Speckledhen,

Thanks for the excellent information!!! And my son is hoping we have eggs coming out of our ears. He sells them in the neighborhood, so he can't wait. Thanks again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by