WOOHOOOO---1st egg laid in over two months!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by radiodog, Dec 5, 2010.

1. radiodog

radiodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2010
    Summerfield NC
    All my hens quit laying back 1st of October... But my little bantam EE presented me with a mint green egg yesterday. What a good girlie!
    I'm hoping the others will follow suit. 4 laying hens plus 3 pullets on the verge of laying consuming 50 lbs of crumbles a month and no eggs is tough!

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Congrats [​IMG] What kind of chickens do you have?

3. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    HOoray for you!

I can feel your pain - I have 6 large fowl & one banty all old enough and have laid before -- only 2 are laying. THere are also 5 pullets hatched in May, and no eggs yet from any of them. So a total of 12 layers - and 2 eggs, [​IMG]

4. radiodog

Jan 1, 2010
    Summerfield NC
    BR, SS, Hamburg and the bantam EE - all have laid but quit. 3 andalusians and 1 polish mix that are on the verge. Oh and the 3 oeg and 1 modern game but not counting on them for eggs.

5. kittyacid

kittyacid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    I got my first one on Saturday, also after nothing for two months! I was laughing because I put golf balls in the nest boxes and within four hours I had an egg!! I had never tried that before but I have six new girls that are at about the right age to start laying and wanted to encourage them. That was the only one so far but maybe it is the start of something, My girls laid better last winter and spring than they did in the summer and fall. Good luck getting more!

6. radiodog

Jan 1, 2010
    Summerfield NC
    little bantam ee laid another egg today! come on girls, let's see what you can do!

7. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    7 hens are eating 50 lbs a month? They must be fat little suckers..[​IMG] Maybe they are so busy eating they don't have time to lay eggs..[​IMG]

8. radiodog

Jan 1, 2010
    Summerfield NC
    Tell me about it! and a rooster too. I fill up the feeder once a day...its either a 7 lb or 11 lb feeder that is suspended to prevent waste. There might be a little food left in the bottom the next day but not much. They get a couple cups of scratch a day plus cooked food too. I recently read that i might be feeding worms so I'm thinking about worming them now while there is a lull in their laying. But think I'll wait a few days to see if another hen wants to present me with an egg. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by