Wooo Hoooo! I Got Turkeys Today!! Pictures On Last Post!

NC29mom

Songster
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
Scotland Neck, NC
I am soooooo excited!!
celebrate.gif
After months of talking about getting turkeys, it looks as if my wish is coming TRUE!!!!

My hubby has been clearing some land behind our house. He tells me today, "Honey, I am clearing this land for you. I am going to build you a huge coop and fence in a free range area just for you. You can fill it with whatever you want" TURKEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT TURKEYS!!!!!!!!! Hot diggity dog!

Woo hoo, woo hoo, woo hoo, woo hoo, I'm going to be a member of your secret turkey club!!
wee.gif
ya.gif

I just can't wait!! I have to decide, royal palm or?????????

Are turkey toms really mean? Somebody once told me they will flog you with their wings, try to spur you, etc. All of our roosters have been very sweet, NEVER had a bad one. Hope this isn't gonna be a bad experience with the turkeys!

yippiechickie.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif

Last edited:
Royal Palms are some of the least aggressive. All of mine are super sweet. Congrats on getting what you want. My question to you is, what does he want?
celebrate.gif

Good for you! I am excited for you
woot.gif

I talked about getting turkeys for a long time, and was thrilled when I finally bought some. Glad your taking your first step to poultry Nirvana!!!

People seem to have different experiences with different breeds. For me, the bronzes and Narragansetts have been the most friendly, especially the hens, while the palms and Midget whites have been the shiest. (how do you spell most shy?). The bourbon reds are sort of indifferent. Others have shared that the palms and midget whites are the most friendly. Just last night I had a bourbon red and a royal palm try to roost on my shoulder, so friendly is a relative term. Overall, they have all been much friendlier than any chickens we've raised.

So I would pick out a color or two that you like, and start with them. Royal Palms toms may be the most striking, but I really like natural looking birds like bronzes and Narragansetts. But you should decide what colors you like and start there.

Have fun and let us know what you get!!!
pop.gif

we have some 2 month old BR and RPs and they're about even so far. Although the BR hen sure loves DH... I keep telling him he won't enjoy her on his shoulder when shes all grown up but he won't listen. Maybe I'll have some good pictures in December?
roll.png

I have always had Bourbon Reds. They are VERY friendly. Not flighty at all. I have NEVER had a problem with them.

Here are pics of them at 2 months old.

6612_turkeyssitting.jpg

6612_turkeyssell.jpg

Last edited:
OMGosh! Guess what?? So, I took my daughter back to school shopping today in the big city (Raliegh, NC). I told her I needed to stop by Tractor Supply and get some chick feed, if we happened to pass one in Raleigh. Well, on the way through Knightendale, we just happened to see one! All stuck back, on the other side of the 8 lane road. SO, we stopped to get the feed.

As soon as I walked in the door, I saw those big beautiful tin buckets that they put their chicks for sale in. AND THEN I SAW "TURKEYS" I couldn't believe it~! Everywhere online is already sold out. So I called my hubby and asked how he felt about me getting some? He was like, "Do whatever makes you happy". Well, the men in TS weren't very helpful or knowledgable about these turkeys. At first they told me they were "Eastern Turkeys". Then after I asked a few questions about the "eastern" all of a sudden they were bronze. SO, WHO KNOWS! I LEFT WITH 6!!! WOOO HOOOOO HOOOO~

Anyway, here's their temporary housing, hubby outside now working like a little doggie getting my coop ready.

By any chance, does anybody know for sure what these are??

They have won my heart ALREADY!

60664_turkey_041.jpg

60664_turkey_034.jpg

close up on one

60664_turkey_035.jpg

60664_turkey_036.jpg

60664_turkey_037.jpg

60664_turkey_001.jpg

60664_turkey_003.jpg

kuntrygirl:
yours are beautiful!!! They sure are big at ONLY 2months! You've got a plently I see! I only got 6! (though I secretly wanted more!)

They are BEAUTIFUL!!! Do keep them warm (probably not a problem where you are) and show them several times a day where the food and water are. (I tapped the food dish and the water with a pencil until the birds ate and drank.) It takes a few days for all that to kind of get imprinted.

They are wonderful birds, so much fun. I know you'll enjoy them.

it just depends on the particular turkey. my toms
( spsnish black & bourbon red) are just fine, its
my hens that get nasty (to strangers not me).
spend time with them and you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom