wooohooo first turkey egg!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by walkswithdog, Feb 24, 2009.

1. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    One of the Bourbon Red hens is laying!!!! Yay. She laid it in the chicken coop, leaving me with a whhhhaaaaaa??? the heck is this??? moment. Really pale and speckled isn't something I expect from my chickens.

Fortunately the local poultry came by to pick up the spare roo I had, and he left with a pair of faulted pullets as well. He's not as picky about color and pencilling as I am. I showed him my weird chicken egg. He said it's NOT WEIRD, for a turkey egg. Oh.... duh... LOL

They're laying... yipeeeeeee. [​IMG]

2. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"everybody loves a turkey"

Steve in NC

3. Jayare's Chicks

Jayare's Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    I got my FIRST Turkey egg today also. I got my Bourbon Reds last June and got their 1st egg today.

I haven't seen the Toms doing their buisness so I guess I'll have to crack it open to see if it's fertle.

Jayare

4. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    No eggs for me yet either... but TurkZilla has been out there giving those hens the business! And sadly, for the first time, he's starting to stomp at me and show some aggression. sigh. He's all grown up and he doesn't need me anymore. I'm just waiting for eggs tho - my goal is 20 poults this year from my 3 Bourbon hens!

5. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

YAY Turkey eggs!!!!

I started getting mine just a couple weeks ago... have 8 now total... every other day or so...

one of those 8 is GINORMOUS!!! It's so big it won't fit in my DUCK EGG TURNER!!! Can't wait to crack it open. And since I don't have any boys, I will be selling these babies on the cheap.. a local baker lady wants them $2 half dozen!

6. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Okay this is too much fun. And I've had more offers for turkey eggs than I actually will want to sell. My goal is 20 poults for the year, and sell a few eggs. But I don't want to set any until the weather is better, it's been so cold. I'd end up paranoid.

7. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Hey Walks with Dog - looks like we have the same 20 poult goal! lets keep in touch and see if we can meet/beat it! I love my turks!

Bake with turkey eggs? did I read that right?

8. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:We made cookies with our turkey eggs... so far so good!

9. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Deviled turkey eggs are really good! We like them better than chicken eggs but our fav. is still geese eggs.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by