1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wooohooooo!!! First baby chick hatched!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Carli, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Carli

Carli Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    Chick #1 born this evening:

[​IMG]

Still waiting on #'s 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, & 9! We can hear the chicks chirping in their eggs even when we're standing several feet away from the brooder. Broody mama is doing a fine job and is quite calm, even with our prying eyes. [​IMG]

2. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    YOU LUCKY DUCK>>>or should i say chicken!!!

3. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now warm that baby up..

4. Carli

Carli Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    Quote:Yes! She was only out a few seconds and it was ADORABLE watching her and her mama together. She burrowed in a little and then her mama scooped her beneath her wings. SO CUTE!

5. stampntam

stampntam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    so cute! be sure not to open the bator until all are hatched, you can shrink wrap the others, they need really high humidity!!!!
    Congrats
    [​IMG]

6. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Congratulations!![​IMG]

7. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Did I read your post correctly, you are using a broody hen?

Congratulations [​IMG] It is great when a broody does all the work.

8. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:You must have missed the earlier posts about this hatch. It's being done by a broody, not a bator!
    I wish I had a broody hen. I'd love to compare hatch results. I bet the hen would win every time...

Carli - congratulations! [​IMG] So happy for you after your bad experience with the first one.

9. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Quote:You must have missed the earlier posts about this hatch. It's being done by a broody, not a bator!
    I wish I had a broody hen. I'd love to compare hatch results. I bet the hen would win every time...

Carli - congratulations! [​IMG] So happy for you after your bad experience with the first one.

My Orpington / Rhode Island Red Cross and my Silkie Hens are the best incubators I could own. Although, I got the 1588 for Christmas and it is giving them a run for their money as they are not broody right now and the incubator just hathced 90% hatch rate.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  10. Carli

Carli Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    Yes, a VERY dedicated broody BO. She left the nest once for a few hours but otherwise, she's always on the eggs. She's about 11 months old and this was her second round of broodiness.

Here's the count from the original 12:

#1- Bad egg
    #2- Went missing!
    #3- Bloody hatch...was it me? Or the hen? Hen had blood on her beak...... I shall not allow guilt to take over!
    #4 & 5 HATCHED!!!
    #6- Clean hatch but just dead this morning...can't see why.
    # 7, 8, 9, PIPPED, and #10, 11, 12...still waiting......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by