1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Woooo Chicks!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Arkantex, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Arkantex

Arkantex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    Well my wife just send me a pic. She picked up our first ever chicks from the post office this morning. They took right to the feed and water! We ordered 10 assorted brown egg layers from Ideal... Box showed up with 21!!! Gotta love packing peanuts! Guess I will have some for the freezer in a few months. Now I just have to figure out what other breeds we got besides the one we ordered!

2. kimf

kimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Seminole County, FL
    Congrats!! And, wow! that's a lot of packing peanuts!

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    This time of the year they have extra and a box that is full is a warm box and less movement which allows for more heat to be produced and less movement in the shipping box for them to be tossed around in.

Congrates on the new family of chix. 21 will allow you to cull all the Roos you get for the freezer and in addition to that you will find that there will be more favorite girls to keep.

4. Arkantex

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    Let's see if I can attach a pic...

5. Arkantex

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    Well my work pc has me blocked out. I will post up a pic when I get home. I was laughing when my wife told me, "These chicks are loud. It is kind of soothing."

6. Arkantex

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    Well my wife counted wrong the first time. We have 22!!! Let's see if I can upload a pic now.

[​IMG]

Anyone want to guess as to what breeds???

7. Arkantex

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    Well I looked back at my order to be sure, and I know I ordered 2 barred rocks, 2 buff orpingtons, 2 production reds, 2 black astrolorps 1 rhode island red, and 1 ameraucana. I have no clue about what is what!

8. shanshan51

shanshan51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    My ameraucanas look like your ones with the stripes down their backs. My black astrolorps are all black. And my reds are usually pretty solid redish.

9. sabianshepherds

sabianshepherds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    And the barred rocks are the black/gray with yellow/white dots on their heads.

Way to go, I just picked up 11 barred rocks from the post office today. I was the talk of the office, don't think they've ever gotten chicks in my urban postal office [​IMG]

10. TinkyFeathers

TinkyFeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Awwww they are so adorable [​IMG] I can't wait to hatch chicks again [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by