1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WooooHooo I got my first ova. (pic)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by holliewould, Sep 8, 2008.

1. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    It was about 10am today and my girl was on her nest. She was acting like she was in a trance so I petted her for a few minutes. Then she stood up and I saw a tiny brown egg under her bloomers. I mean it's the cutest little egg I've ever seen. My very first home grown egg, how exciting is that!!!

[​IMG]

Anyway, it was perfect. She laid right where I wanted her to. She was loud and proud when she jumped off the nest too. I'm just soooo glad she didn't act like a complete idiot for her first egg. I can't wait til tomorrow. Maybe tomorrows egg will be a little bit bigger? She's an RIR, a big one at that. I'm saving this egg til I get her next one so I can compare the sizes.

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Those first eggs are always so cute, and then the next ones are usually so much larger!

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    CONGRATS on your first egg! She may not lay the next day - don't worry if she doesn't.

I've got a Welsummer that's been laying for 2 weeks now and her eggs haven't gotten very much bigger at all. I know they will, though. They are so pretty, too! Dark brown with speckles! Neat!

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My first ever egg was laid on Christmas day, it was exciting. Unfortunately, I broke it opening the patio door. Oh well.

5. krjwaj

krjwaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Apex, NC
    Congratu'lay'tions! Its a beauty! [​IMG]

6. KristaChickenWhisperer

KristaChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    My first egg was on Easter. Ironic? I know haha.

And to make it better, it was my Ameraucana that layed it hehe.

Anyway, I was so proud and excited that I poked two holes in it and blew it out, wrote Peck's name on it (That was her name, Peck hehe) and put it on display in my bedroom!

7. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Quote:That's a great thought. Mind if I steal your idea?

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

9. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Congrats on your first egg. It is always so exciting. Here's hoping for many more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by