1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Woooohooooo!!! Coop plans are changing!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kristim23, Nov 10, 2010.

1. kristim23

kristim23 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2010
    I'm new here, and I'm sure this isn't big for anyone else, but I'm posting anyway! Hubby and I were going to build a coop, then decided to buy a smaller one. But, he's a carpenter, so when he saw the prices, he said "I could build one heck of a coop for that!!" Back to building... Then a while ago he suggested converting a shed we already have into a coop, so that sounded good to me. We were planning on an 8x8, and I decided on the breeds I wanted- all great egg layers because thats the point. BUT I just went down and measured the shed...

It is 8x16!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chicken math is starting and I don't have any chickens yet!! I am seriously sooo excited. Now, hmmm, I can add other chickies... have room now for a more varied flock...[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  2. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    [​IMG] congratulations on your new super coop! [​IMG] post pics soon!

* I have redone my coop about 4 times now... LOL It seems like one of those projects that is NEVER done! (my fault though - I am new to this) [​IMG]

3. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    very cool you may want to use part of the space for food storage and chicken stuff. You could also set up a nice little brooder in there.

4. kristim23

Oct 8, 2010
    Thanks, guys!! I really didn't expect any feedback- just needed to sing about it!

Cindy99- You gave me a great idea- I should name it Supercoop! And pics are a good idea, too, I should go take a before shot. As it stands, it has a concrete floor and a few rows of block, and then plywood walls for the rest. And, it has a a garage door that will need removed, a few windows added and vents, and of course all the inside chicken fixings (NOT stuffing haha).

abhaya- I do want to add in interior closet for feed, supplies, and such, but I haven't a clue about how much room I need for that kind of stuff. I guess you can never have too much storage, though! I wonder if I can block off an area to use as a brooder, and then make it bigger as they grow until they don't need it anymore... I'll have to go stand in the shed to get a good idea, I am horrible at visualizing things in my head.

I think with a flock of 16 that gives 8 sq ft per bird, that should give me plenty of room!

Just thought of something- should I seal the concrete floor and block, is it really necessary? Oh and I definetly want outside egg access, and an auto hen door.

Any ideas/suggestions are welcome and appreciated!!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  5. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Your plans are coming. YES. We do not have outside egg boxes. That is the time we visit with our Chickens. Time to bring treats and gather eggs and check things out.

And we are in cold climate. Don't want to leave eggs to temperature. Hot in Summer and Cold in Winter.

I think this invites unwanted visitors. Nesting Boxes are easier. We have 4 of them for 14 hens. Aria

Sorry: We have 14 Hens and l Rooster Total 15 Chickens. We are in the process of naming them. Do you name yours? Rooster is Ruscello Hens: Carmen Violetta Juliette Armida
    Aria ...working on more names.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  6. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    I would take 4' of the 16' section and make the storage area with the people door. The inside separation wall could be where the access to the nest boxes could be on 1/2 a wall. Make the upper 1/2 chicken wire. One side of the 4' section could be for storage, the other for the brooder. Have a screen door into the chicken section for easy cleaning, feeding etc. This sounds so exciting.

Good Luck! [​IMG]

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Big run area. Your chicks will love you for a bigggg ruuuuun.

8. kristim23

Oct 8, 2010
    This is so great! Thanks for all the great ideas!

Aria- I most likely will name them. But I have a two and a half year old, so their names may end up being Sesame Street names! Oh, well! When I get my breed list figured out, I'll post it. I also wanted outside egg access mostly for my kids- just a door, not the whole nest box section outside, because I have the same temp worry. My DH would weather strip the access door.

tdub- Great idea! So what should the dimensions of the closet/brooder be? I took it as 4x8, but just checking. I was planning on using a huge box in my basement as a brooder, but a 22x38 box will work for 14 chicks for what, 3 days? My only problem with brooding in the coop is electricity. It is a good distance from house. I would love to make it solar, and found a set up that will power a 12 volt battery, but I know NOTHING about that and not sure if that would be enough power for a heatlamp. We'll see, I guess. I'm planning on getting my chicks in early March, so I had hoped that they would feather out in time for decent weather, but 14 chicks will be 14 chickens in no time, so I don't know. Big plus to your idea: I could go in and check hens, get eggs without stepping in poop!![​IMG]

As far as the run is concerned, I was thinking 8x 20. How does that sound? That should give a little more than 11 sq ft per bird. I would like to let them out in my yard a little each day, but it is not fenced, so I would have to chicken-sit. We have a lot of stray dogs/cats around here, not to mention coyotes, bears, bobcat, raccoons, etc., and a rumored cougar. (not sure if I believe that!)

Thanks again for all the help! Can't tell you how much its appreciated!![​IMG]

9. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Use the money u save on the shed for electricity. U will be wanting light at all times of the day checking on ur chickens. Plus for automatic pop door , heater for water?, and it would be nice to put brooder out there for everyone to get used to each other. Leave room for ur chairs because u will be wanting to spend time with ur chicks. I use a small8x10 foraging pen now and just got supplies for a 9x15 permanent pen to put my coop in. I made sure that it would be easy to get in and out of( how tall is ur DH?) . Consider placing it where motion detector spotlights from ur house will shine on it.

10. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:Resistive heating is a power sucker and setting up a 12v solar/pv system to operate one would probably be cost prohibitive. It would be much easier and cheaper to run some 12/2uf (underground) wire to your coop. Naturally a long wire run will cause a voltage drop at the usage end, but with what you'll be using it for it shouldn't cause a problem...just don't run any expensive motors with it. You could use it for lighting, heat-lamps, a radio, baby monitor, etc.,. Hook it up to a 20amp breaker and you're good to go.

The biggest chore would be digging the trench/slit to bury the wire. Of course if the coop is a 1/2 mile away from the house then that is another story! [​IMG]

Just some thoughts,
    Best wishes,
    Ed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by