WooT!! first green egg from one of my girls...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by evonne, Oct 25, 2009.

1. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    i'm ssoo excited.. i was afraid out of 6 EE hens that i might not get any greens.. i have 2 different colors of tanish and i think it's 2 different girls laying them... i've haven't gotten 2 tan ones on the same day yet so i'm not positive... but one is a solid tan, one is more peachy with white specks... have to look hard for the specks.. they're tiny and just make the egg look lighter in general..

but anyway... my 6 yr old comes in carrying a green one today and says look what i found mommy.... silly girl laid it under the water faucet by the bowl that the dogs and the chickens share.. lol... i woulda never looked over there.. the girls have been checking out the nest box on a regular basis so i assumed they all knew that was the cool place to lay.. lol...

anyway... these are not all from today, but today was my first 3 egg day.... WooT!!!!

[​IMG]

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Beautiful Great job I loved it when my colored layers first started to lay now I just want to see an egg from my girls again [​IMG] it beautiful its almost olive I love that shade of green

3. evonne

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    i was thinking it was almost olive too... i was not expecting such a definite green... i expected like a pastel.. light green... i still have at least 3 maybe 4 that we don't know what they're going to lay... i'm hoping for more fun like this...

4. chloebetsychicks

chloebetsychicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    greensboro
    Our very first egg was green just a couple of weeks ago. I was so excited and felt really proud, which is so silly but still...We have 3 ameracauna/EE girls and 10 RIRs. so far 2 EEs and one RIR are laying, got them in June. I'm also pleased with our "girls"!

5. evonne

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    don't you feel like way excited.. then silly for being so excited, then who cares you're excited??? did you try to tell all your friends and they just thought you were nuts?
    not about th color.. about how excited you were.. lol...

i'm still excited.. doesn't look like she laid today...
    but i'm still hit and miss on the tanish colored ones too... the one is starting to be consistant, but if it is another laying the more solid light brown, she's no where near steady yet...

6. cnj-tx50

cnj-tx50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    North of Dallas, TX
    We added to Americanna's in August and got two eggs from them the next day. One Robin egg blue and a seafoam green. Then never again!!

7. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Ohhhh, don't be so sure about that 'never again' thing. Do your hens free range? If they do, there's every chance that they've found a secret little place to leave their eggs. My Ameraucana's are the closest thing to wild I've ever had. They would all lay off in the shrubbery every chance they could if I didn't watch them like a hawk. One of them I gave up and let her keep a nest in the ivy.

8. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I'm so jealous!

9. The Zoo

The Zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    My Tikka is laying the most gorgeous seafoam green eggs now - 5 so far. I went nuts when I found her first one [​IMG]!
    And I still get quite happy whenever I look at them in the egg cartons or find another one.

10. cnj-tx50

cnj-tx50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    North of Dallas, TX
    Mine are confined to a 50x50 yard. I have one red sex link thats lays 7/7 but no one else. I so want to have those blue eggs!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by