Woot! My babies are growing up..first day in the nursery coop!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hinkjc, Feb 7, 2009.

1. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    There are lavender, black mottled, lavender mottles and araucana project birds pictured.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lavender mottled cockerel:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty Cleo, mottled pullet:
    [​IMG]

2. Bacchus

Bacchus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    Wow! You have very pretty birds! How old are they? I'm guessing 7 weeks old, since my seven week-olds are about that size.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, aint that a purdy bunch 'o birds! Lovely.

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

How old are they Jody? They are looking really good. Do you have heat to them in the nursery coop? I was able to turn off the light on the brooder in the garage today but I'm still nervous to kick them outside.

5. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    They range from 7-9 weeks old. Yes, they do have a heat lamp, but odd enough no one is using it. I think they are thrilled to be out in a bigger space. We cleaned all the brooders today and shifted all the babies around. ugh, that's a lot of work, but it's fun because you get to inspect them all and see how they're filling out.

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I'm glad it's working out for you. I have chicks that are about 5-6 weeks old and I'm planning on putting them in my trailer pen with a 250 watt heat bulb next week. Wish me luck and no more single digit temps. [​IMG]

7. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Well, I'll keep you posted on how it goes after a few days. Today was their first day out with the better temps here. We're expecting close to 50 during the day and evening's just around freezing. I'm sure they'll snuggle under that lamp at night.

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Thanks Jody, I'll be watching because I have similar plans.

9. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Here is their pic after dark. Somehow I knew they'd like that heat lamp tonight. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Yep, looks like it drew them all in but also looks like they aren't trying to smother each other either. Looking good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by