Woot!!! My chicks have shipped.

fiddlebanshee

Songster
10 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Just got the email from Meyer. Can't wait for them to get here.

Trust me to keep pestering you all with questions as this is my first time with chicks.

Question for today (how many am I allowed?
duc.gif
)

1. While I was at TSC yesterday I got dried mealworms and BOSS. At which age can I start feeding these treats to the chicks? I tried searching for it but didn't get very far. Obviously I also got chick start&grow (Purina) and am aware that that should make up the majority of their diet.

2. The 250W red heatlamp that I also got at TSC worked I left it on last night to test but by morning the temp had gone down to 89 degrees. Is this too cold for the chicks? Should I hang it lower? Am I being too analytical about this? I have one of those min/max thermometers with a remote sensor so that I can monitor the temp from the house. The brooder is in the coop.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your coming chicks! As far as dried mealworms, I give my chicks just a little every day or every other day, but I crush them smaller with my hands. I have never given it to my chicks in their first week. Make sure that their main food source is chick starter. As for the heat, it is recommened to be around 95 the first week and then 5 degrees less each week. I only need a 60 watt bulb, but I am in Georgia and this is probably why. Just keep an eye on your chicks when they come and see how they act. I would think warmer would be better at first in case they had a cool trip. I hope everyone on here gives you lots of helpful advice and I wish you the best of luck.

i have a sixty watt bulb dont live anywhere particularly warm but seems to be ok good luck with chicks
smile.png

I use 'the chicken thermometer'. Basically get the temperature close to what it should be put the chicks in and then watch them. If they all move to the edges away from the light and each other they are too hot, move the light up. If they all pile together under the light and don't wander too far from it then they are too cold, move the light down. It's not as scientific as the 95 degrees first week, drop 5 degrees each week method, but it works for me.

Back
Top Bottom