Woot...my girls have a little tractor!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Cetawin, May 10, 2008.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    My girls are not old enough or ready to go out into a coop so I built them a little tractor so they can get some outside time safely.

It is 4' L x 4' W x 25" H and made out of Douglas Fir 1 x 2's and 1" chicken wire. I put 2 1 1/2" hinges on it and 2 Safety latches. The entire top is hinged and lifts open. Now the girls can go outside while I am working in the garden. I have a piece of metal roofing to put over half of it to give them shade if the trees do not provide enough.

[​IMG]

I will build a page showing the construction pics and stuff...also I will get a pic of the girls in their tractor tomorrow if it is nice enough outside. I currently have 6 little 7 week olds.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  2. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    That is such a good idea! Very practical for hanging out with your chicks- you are there to protect them and they get fresh air and some fun scratching for bugs time!

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Exactly....they will not be in it permanently or unsupervised...but when I am outside, they can be outside too. [​IMG] As you know...too many predators to leave them unguarded in something like that but a great playpen for them [​IMG]

4. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Great job! How old are your girls?

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    My herd [​IMG] is 7 weeks old. 6 girls so far. [​IMG]

6. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Awwww, ours are close to the same age, lol. Mine are 8weeks and think I am their mama. I think that is what makes me even more protective over them.

7. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I'm planning on building some thing like that so I can have them work on certain area in the yard at one time. Like putting it over the compost pile or over a garden bed and letting them go at it.

:)

8. That looks A+ professional!

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:That is my plan too...I am going to put it in my garden beds and let the girls work the soil for me.

EllyMae: My girls do too. My litle SLW stalks me and follows me everywhere. That is also why I want a tractor for them just to keep them out of trouble. [​IMG]

10. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    Quote:That is my plan too...I am going to put it in my garden beds and let the girls work the soil for me.

EllyMae: My girls do too. My litle SLW stalks me and follows me everywhere. That is also why I want a tractor for them just to keep them out of trouble. [​IMG]

JUST WHAT I WAS THINKING!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by