wOOt!!! one showgirl has hatched!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by verthandi, Jul 15, 2007.

1. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    [​IMG] A day early, but big and healthy so far! One more has pipped. 2 more look promising. These were from eggs that were over 2 weeks old before they went into the incubator, so it was a chance hatch from the begining.

Question for silkie owners. I think this one might be a partridge. I am used to seeing polish chicks hatched with the lighter skin. The chick looked very dark blue at first but now I can see lighter orangish streaks in the wet feathers. This one has the typical black skin. What do partridge colored silkies look like when they hatch?

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2007
  3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    hope you get many more i have 36 pheasants hatching in 3 days . i cant wait [​IMG]

4. verthandi

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Thank you for the link to the photo's inuyashalover21, that helped alot. I can't wait for the chick to dry out so I will have an idea what color it might be.

Good luck with the hatch chickencrazzy, and thank-you.

5. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    I wanna see pics! [​IMG]

6. verthandi

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Here they are...unfortunately two had curled toes on one foot. They have straighten out now, but they are still having leg problems. I have posted in raising chicks.

You can see the foot taped on the buff. One is definately partridge, the other is odd colored....sort of blue with reddish coloring on the end of it's feathers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These pictures were when they were less than 24 hours old, they are much fluffier now.

7. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    They are so cute! how many eggs did you incubate? How many hatched?

8. verthandi

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    I started with 9, tossed 3 as infertile about a week ago. 3 hatched, 2 more still look promising even though it is getting to be day 23. I'll give them a day or two more before I call it quits.

These were old eggs to start with, but they were a gift so I had to give it a try. I am almost wondering if the age of the eggs has had anything to do with their leg problems. Plus the weather has been unsettled making humidity a challenge.

9. cheepchicks

cheepchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Indiana
    Very Cute ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by