WOOT~started laying at 18.5 weeks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kassy68, Oct 23, 2009.

1. kassy68

kassy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Vassar , Michigan
    My Coop
    HI guys.. its been an exciting week here. My June 8th hatched pullets are starting to lay. My first girl to lay at 18.5 weeks is an Isa Brown (Nutmeg), followed by either a Black Sex Link or another Isa Brown at 19 weeks on the day, Then today I went out and I had 3 pullet eggs by 9:30am.. This is soooooooooo eggciting. Now I'm trying to match up who's laying what.. LOL.. I've busted for sure 2 isa browns (Nutmeg and Cinnamon) and I believe I caught the black sex link yesterday morn. And now that I have almost a dozen baby pullet eggs, I ate my first layed egg for breakfast today..

Her yolk is the darkest orange I'd ever seen.. Wondering does dark yolk come from young healthy birds? cuz my older girls (got already laying) eat the exact same diet and their yolks are just normal yellow orange.. darker then store boughts.. but not near as rich as this pullet egg.. Which was soooooooooooo darn cute in the pan.

So to sum it up.. They do lay before 20-22 weeks and I'm darn eggcited as its been a long 18.5 weeks wait for an egg. now just 19 more to start..

2. Marbleheader

Marbleheader Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Marblehead, MA
    Awesome. I hope I'm as lucky as you are.

3. kassy68

kassy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Vassar , Michigan
    My Coop
    Quote:Well, I don't know if it has anything to do with it.. Theyve been living with my 4 other layers since they were 8 weeks old.. I had two feeders out one with layer and one with grower.. well I kept finding the wrong birds eatting outta the wrong feeders.. so I started mixing both together until around probably 12 weeks (pullets age) I gave up and just went straight layer feed again. Plus they free range everyday from around 10-roost time. I'm sure the sexlink strain has something to do with it too. Good luck.

What breed do you have and how old?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by