Work from home with rooster noise??

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi, I will be starting a new job, work from home, in a couple of weeks. I currently live in a camper inside a large barn. Have 26 hens and 1 rooster. They have their own room in the barn but damn are they loud! The rooster hears me when I talk on the phone inside the camper and starts calling. A couple of the hens damn do they like to make noise. They do like to forage outdoors, but it rains here a lot, and sometimes they are laying (and squawking) in the barn and then go outside. I am not sure how to conduct video meetings on my laptop with all the noise, short of renting an office in town. Ideas appreciated.

Search for a microphone that does not pick up background noise. You can pay any price and some are very sophisticated. Sometimes the earphone-microphone combos pick up less background noise because the mic is right in front of your mouth.

Use the mute button and bark like a dog just before taking it off mute. The birds will stop what they're doing to listen for a moment.

It's not the most convenient idea, but if they can't or won't go outside, can you?

Cheaper than renting an office, can you construct a simple 3-sided, roofed structure (like a loafing shed) near the barn (use recycled materials, if possible). If you need a "professional" background for videos calls, hang a framed photo and a certificate or two. Toss in a solar lamp and a good-looking table top, maybe hang a curtain rod and curtain on the back wall, and it might look like an office.

Congratulations, BTW, on the new job, getting to work from home and having a chickens! Hope it all works out well.

I have two house roosters and have been working from home for the past two years. It was an adjustment. One of the two would lose his mind every time he heard me on the phone - it took a couple of months for him to adjust. The other rooster was never a big crower so he was less of an issue.

My coworkers knew I was the crazy rooster lady from the start and they find it endearing, but I didn't start out working from home so they were slowly introduced to my brand of crazy. Let your coworkers know that they can expect to hear your chickens and that you've done as much as you can to mitigate the noise.

I'm lucky that the majority of my customers find it hilarious that I have two spoiled house roosters. It works as good tension breaker for some of the tougher clients. But it also depends on what you do.

The sound absorbing tiles suggested above might be a good investment. Hang a few in the office area of your camper or inside the chicken room of the barn. That should help with the hens as well.

Congrats on the job! Working from home is a blast. I love it.

Oh my goodness - from about 7am to 1pm they are all in the nesting boxes doing their thing and singing like they're competing for America's Top Singer/Model or something. I did tell the interviewer I have goats, but I did all the interviews from a cafe for this reason. Yes OK I will try the headset and the crazy chicken lady. Not sure I can insulate for less than $500-1000; their room is 12x20.

Oh my goodness - from about 7am to 1pm they are all in the nesting boxes doing their thing and singing like they're competing for America's Top Singer/Model or something. I did tell the interviewer I have goats, but I did all the interviews from a cafe for this reason. Yes OK I will try the headset and the crazy chicken lady. Not sure I can insulate for less than $500-1000; their room is 12x20.
Loved the America's top model/singer bit. Rofl

Back
Top Bottom