Work in progress!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bethanyc, Mar 16, 2015.

1. bethanyc

bethanyc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    Hello again everyone! My chicken coop construction has begun! (Just the foundation so far) I looked in to building my own coop from scratch, that is what I originally had planned to do. But after a lot of thought I realized that it would be far to hard and expensive for me. So I started looking into "coop kits" that you can purchase and it comes with everything need in assembly. I found one that was much bigger then I originally planned, and for a very decent price! So I ordered it! What is everyone's opinion on a coop kit? Have any of you ever had/tried one? Also it is made of fir wood. Opinions on this? (The picture is my foundation in progress) thanks everyone![​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Which coop kit did you purchase? :)

3. bethanyc

Mar 3, 2015
    Hi! I purchased from "Chicken Saloon" and the one i ordered is called "The Ranch" [​IMG]

4. bethanyc

Mar 3, 2015
    Im planning on painting it, and also puttin tin on the roof of the coop and the nesting boxes. What do you think? :)

5. WildfireSmitty

WildfireSmitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Fir is good, low sap so it tends to have a longer life (if sealed and painted). Easy to build with. The only con to fir is it can easily be damaged and sometimes can be hard to find (depends on your location I guess). I'm guessing it is Douglas fir?

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh how cute!!! Some of these prebuilt coops come with a very small roost bar. So if you are going to keep larger breed birds, you might replace the bar with a 2x4, with the 4 side up. Thin roost bars are very hard on legs and feet of heavy breed birds.

Enjoy your new coop!! :)

7. bethanyc

Mar 3, 2015
    Thank you so much for the info!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by