Worked awfully hard for my chicks dustbath and what do they do?

thndrdancr

Songster
12 Years
Mar 30, 2007
Belleville, Kansas
Well, I had some plants I needed to plant this evening, so I let the girls out to free range early.

Previous to this...just to keep them occupied...I had dear hubby tote 5 bags of top soil and potting soil and some sand. Most of it I was using for my planting as its dry as a bone and the earth was sooooo hard. Well, all this occurred right outside the chickens pen, and they got sooooo excited watching all this dirt being poured out, I am sure they thought it was ALL just for them. Well, I had hubby make a big nice pile of the nice potting soil and some sand RIGHT outside their pen...and in view of where I was planting so I could keep an eye on them. (The reason I was planting is that Ace offered the rest of their veggies free and I can never resist anything free, dummy me). Soooooo...I let the girls out....they had been pacing and clucking and gettin all excited...they checked out the big pile...pecked at it a bit...jumped on it, scratched for about two minutes...then made a beeline for a spot around the house that one of them found for dustbathing (she only dustbathed there one time) usually she dustbathes where I was gardening, the stinker....

So, I had to have sis pull out a lawn chair and chicken sit whilst they had their fun while I planted. Sis finally said..."um...how long before they are bored with this dustbathing thing???" Well, I HAD told sis bring a book...she brought a Shopko ad and it wasnt enuff...lol

Jill

lol great story. Thats how it is with mine. They have gotten into everything I have planted. even tryed to dust bath in the veg garden itself.

Lol
big_smile.png

My chickens are on their second hole in their coop.
So it sounds like you got a coop up finally eh? Did I miss that post some how?
If not, lemme see lemme see
big_smile.png

Um, no ...Steve...you an Trey were right, my desk is kinda fallin apart right before my eyes, so...I need to get some plywood. lol

Tell my what to use as outside wood that will weather well, will ya? Still got the desk interior, and actually almost done, but was planning on overcoating it anyhow, like I said, I need a base. Probably more work than if I made the darned thing from scratch! lol

Anyhow...we got the perch made, the floor done, the legs on, the window with screen, but the egg door kinda went kaput. I went to Walgreens and had a CD made and was gonna show you all pics of my progress, then the cd didnt copy off.
sad.png
I dont know how to connect just the camera so you're gonna hafta wait a couple days for pics!
lol.png

tongue.png
big_smile.png

I can wait.
I used the cheapest outdoor rated, thinest plywood I could get, some was 1/4 inch the other was like 5/32 or something like that.
I also made sure to paint it right away so the rain wouldnt warp it.
seriously, all ya goota do is have them cut 8x 4 sheets in half and then cut some 8 ft beams
(2x4, 2x3, whatever you prefer)
in half and nail it together and your mosta the way there.

looking forward to your pics
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom