1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Working full time

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by donsgirl67, Oct 24, 2013.

1. donsgirl67

donsgirl67 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2013
    De Soto, MO
    Since I work full time, will I just open the door to the run in the morning so they can come out when they are ready? I get home before dark.

2. Chickmagnet36

Chickmagnet36 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2012
    Southern Massachusetts
    That's what I do, but keep in mind, I have a secure, covered run for them.

3. donsgirl67

Oct 15, 2013
    De Soto, MO
    Yes, that's what we are building. So if it gets stormy, will they run to the coop? Chicken newb here. Not getting them until Spring.

4. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    yes, they will go inside the coop if the weather is not suitable....be it rain, snow, wind, heat.

1 person likes this.
  5. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    I have a secure run area so I never close the door to the coop. I do plan to close it during real cold or snow storms but have not closed it all summer. They are able to come and go as they please.

1 person likes this.
  6. donsgirl67

Oct 15, 2013
    De Soto, MO
    Thank you all! I'm so glad I found this site I'm learning so much. :)

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

An automatic coop door opener is what you need!

Yes they will come out by themselves if you open the door early. However, owls especially love to get inside coops and kill chickens in the early morning hours (and evenings)...hawks will do this as well.

If you are at work all day I would recommend keeping them in a secure covered run as the others said they do. Then let them out when you get home and/or on weekends. Dogs, raccoons, hawks, owls, rats/weasels...there are many predators around that seem to know when you aren't home.

1 person likes this.
  8. donsgirl67

Oct 15, 2013
    De Soto, MO
    We are building a pretty large run so they have plenty of exercise room.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by