1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Working on a long tail mutt ... what do you think?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Celtic Hill, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    So i LOVE long tail breeds but i don't like their tail carriages, i like a really up right carriage like OEGBs, so i would like to work on a bird that is basically an OEGB that has a long tail (like Phoenix long) so if i were to cross a white Phoenix with my white oegb it would bring the tail up but would i loose the long tail gene?

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    You would have to work back and forth for a while probably but you should be able to do it. I have thought about crossing Phoenix and Seramas to get a longtail bird with a higher tail set but I've sold all my Seramas now so I guess i wont be doing it.

3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Check with Toni-Marie she probably has something like what you want, and it WILL NOT BE A MUTT.

4. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Check with who?

5. saladin

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Toni-Marie; one of the most well-known long-tailed breeders in America; that's who.

The birds you are describing already exist; at least in Asia and if in America then they are in Atlanta with Toni-Marie.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  6. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Quote:[​IMG] sorry, lol, but Thanks i sent her a pm!

7. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yep She would probably have something like that. My Red Pyle Phoenix roos are from her and Boggy Bottom Bantams has several from her and is getting more soon.

8. saladin

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    No problem. Whatever Toni-Marie says you can take to the Bank.

9. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    hope they turn out for you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by