Working on a pig pen

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Maryallison, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    We are really getting there with building our pig pen! [​IMG] And we already purchased out piggies! They are about a hour away and now 2 weeks old. They are adorable! I am looking forward to my adventure with pigs. We own a rabbitry and I am always selling chickens, chicks and eggs.

2. lovemelovemybirds

lovemelovemybirds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Grand Junction
    will the piggies become family members or are they project/dinner bound?

3. fowler_chick

fowler_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    South Western Kansas
    was wondering the same here!!![​IMG] i have 2 hemps wating for slaughter and 2 pot bellies that are pets......i have one hemp who is a pain in the ass, constantley jumping out of the pen and wondering around the farm, i came home late one night only to be greeted in the drive way by pig....yes when it's time to water or feed the live stock i get followed by a 200 pound pig..... gonna miss him when he goes........

4. lovemelovemybirds

lovemelovemybirds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Grand Junction
    LOL!! we watched Babe one year...I come home from work...we have two pot bellies. They were not tame pets types though....we did an on the farm slaughter after about a year.......won't do that again. But I wanted a pig then for a pet. So I answer an ad on Craigslist regarding a baby feral hog....brought up from Texas after the hunter took out its mom...( guess they are out of control down there...Russia) Anyhow!!! When we had the pot bellies, they were skittish but got along with the chickens. This NEW critter ate my birds!! OMG....!! He was separate from them..whereas the pot bellies were in with the birds? but the birds flew in with the feral hog...he ate them. So I called the lady I got him from and she came back and got him. I still want a pig...but I don't want to slaughter this one. So we don't have a pig. [​IMG]

5. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Our piggies are bound for market! [​IMG] Even my kids are learning where food comes from and they are ok with it. We also own a rabbitry and we do not do it often, but we have eatten the rabbits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by