Working on a solar water heater!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sandi630, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Sandi630

Sandi630 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2009
    Designed and constructed it yesterday. It was cloudy and rainy/snowy here today so I didn't try it out. I hate having to deal with the electric heated bowls, the worry, added expense, volume, etc. I have been trying to think of a way to heat the water or just keep it from freezing during the day and not spend a fortune. SO I have a prototype and will post results tomorrow. High of 27 for tomorrow so it's a good day to see if it is going to work.

Wish me luck!

2. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Awesome! Keep us posted.

3. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Aye!

Are you using a battery?

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Good luck Sandi630! Please post pics when you get a chance. Also, show us what works and what doesn't as you work the bugs out of your system. [​IMG]

5. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    good luck let us know how it works

6. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    [​IMG]
    Pics please...[​IMG]
    ON

7. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    I've thought of doing this myself. Are you gonna make a drain back system? How about a hot water storage tank? I don't think they need to be to complex, but I'm very curious to how you are gonna do it and how well it works. Please keep us posted.

8. Sandi630

Sandi630 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2009
    It worked!!! And I just typed a very long reply and accidently deleted it!!! AHHH [​IMG]

SO I am going to look for my cable to download pics.

The "system" is essentially a solar oven with a partially exposed slide-out try for the water.
    It was a high of 23 today and a low of 13.....I filled the water this morning at 7 am (15 degrees), my fiance checked it at about 8:30/9 and it was totally clear of ice!! There was a thin layer of ice when I emptied it tonight at 5:45 but the sun was gone and it was about 19 degrees out. [​IMG]

More in a bit when I have some more patience and can upload pics.

9. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    I am waiting patiently, like a school boy on Christmas Eve. [​IMG] Go Sandi!!

10. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Your system sounds interesting.... Any links to where you got the idea...

I was thinking of making the wood box painted black with a glass top on it loaded with copper tubing with fins to collect the heat..

ON

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by