Working on Coop Plans for a Friend

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Yiskah, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Yiskah

Yiskah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    Florida
    [​IMG]
    Since I can sketch it on paper but lack some of the dimensions for carpentry work I have loaded Sketchup, and am using it. The current dimensions are the bulk of it is 3x2x3 feet (not counting that tall frame on the end that is the start of my slanted roof). It is so tiny because it is for Seramas and they usually don't even get run space like this. She wanted plenty of room for trios, and if they have chicks they hatch that it not be small enough to cause overcrowding issues. I don't have the ramp in, the extra support below was because I was going to do an "L" shaped ramp with a landing. The right image, front longside is also an entire length and height doorway, so that you can clean and maintain the run. I'm figuring on a hinged roof as well.

My idea was then to allow a shelf under this ramp to support the feeder and waterer, which will be the small ones you top with mason jars I'm told.

Friend's desired traits,
    -wire floor for easy cleaning (it is suppose to be hardware cloth, but this is the easiest texture I could use to see through and mark that come with the program)
    -ventilation to survive humid hot areas (southern to mid-eastern coast area) and for that I was trying to build a slanted roof with soffit vents
    -the run be under the house, it must also be moveable within reason but not a tractor type
    -not necessary to "bend over/crouch" to retrieve eggs
    -be small
    -no autowater system, so places for the "chick" feeder/waterers

Things I'm aware are common complaints in coops,
    -ease of cleaning
    -ventilation
    -proper space for chickens in nesting box, on perch or to get through doorways
    -predator protection (this coop does not need predator protection as it will be within a larger enclosure I am told)
    -spots for the food and water to maintain without getting waste into the troughs

Thing is I'm trying to figure out how it would be put together, and how to simplify a few things. I don't have the walls together yet for this reason, frame first and all that. I even have it planned for the vertical panel of the nesting box (orange color) to be a slide, so that when it is pulled up there's a gap of 1/2 inch I think it was, level with the nesting box bottom so you can rinse it out without it flooding. Nesting box is otherwise 9x9x12 inches. More than enough room for the tiny chickens.
    Just racking my brain, so any suggestions or ideas?

2. bradleyscott

bradleyscott Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    Southeast oklahoma
    It looks like you got it all figured out.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are those 2x2 framing members?
    Might have trouble getting screws in where 3 come together.
    Always keep fastener size in mind when designing your model.

I'd attach 4 2x2 pieces to solid roof then attach to uprights cut at angle on top end.
    Nest division walls could go up farther to meet angled roof.

HTH...Nice model.

1 person likes this.
  4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    When I built my first coop, I used 1/2 inch hardware cloth for the flooring. I thought it would be easy to clean, that the poop would fall through. In practice, it is a nightmare to clean. The poop gets caught in the mesh, clumps up on top of the mesh. Using a shovel, hoe, rake, scoop, gets caught in the mesh and hangs up. The poop won't fall through the mesh. Perhaps, a larger mesh would work the way I want. I wonder how hard on the chickens' feet a 1 inch mesh would be.

A solid floor mounted flush with the base of the door is so appealing.

Chris

5. Yiskah

Apr 8, 2013
    Florida
    So far I've heard from breeders that the birds hate the wire, the method I was using to test clean it was a wire brush like a grill brush.

My carpentry skills are seriously slacking so I've been studying all I can. I was seriously getting frustrated but I'm been viewing other how to build coops plans. This is entirely different from my previous coop buildings of open air, or redoing a kid's playhouse.

6. Yiskah

Apr 8, 2013
    Florida
    They were tested to be, so far I'm working on several things that I'm trying to figure out how to put it together. Taking a few carpentry classes after Christmas even.

7. Yiskah

Apr 8, 2013
    Florida
    Using my friend's laptop things are sending far before I want them to. Some breeders have no problems with the hardware cloth bottoms and use them in some growout pens with just using a brush or broom to push the mess through the bottom, other serama breeders say that the birds don't like it.

8. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop

A few things: as AArt mentioned, if those are 2x2's you will have a hard time fastening them all together without splitting the ends of the wood. Be sure to pre-drill or use pocket holes and wood glue to keep things from coming apart. 2x2's can only hold one screw per side - which will not be strong enough.

Your top plates on the long sides are only supported by hardware - not a good idea. Any racking or movement will cause these joints to split and fail if they are relying entirely on a singe screw to hold them together. I would either create a mortis joint on these corners or create some additional support under these boards so that all the pressure is not on the hardware.

I don't know if I would put a wire floor coop over a small run like this. Pretty much because, anyone upstairs will be crapping on anyone downstairs. Not to mention, if you food or water is on the ground level - you will have the same problem, with poop getting into the food/water by falling from the upstairs. So, I would do one of two things. Either make it so that the 'coop' part is extended in one direction so that any matter falls to ground outside of the structure, or, use a wood plank floor with access doors on either side for ease of cleaning.

Also, consider having enough space to provide a ramp for them to get into the second layer.

1 person likes this.
  9. Yiskah

Apr 8, 2013
    Florida
    Oh thank you very much! Apologies on the delay. I've been trying to learn some carpentry online and I'm definitely keeping track of all this information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by