Working on My coop for summer. Follow my coop log !

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bahamas, May 27, 2010.

1. bahamas

bahamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Ok guys . I want to raise lots and lots of chickens and i already have a coop but it can hold around 2-3 chickens comfortably by them selves but i'm planning on raising lots . More like 20 or more. So i found some thick pieces of wood. I measured one then measured the second made a cut and in a few .. i'll be cutting it in half. Working on the bottom of the new part of the coop.

257 cm long peices . Ad then i have to cut peices for the end get wire and all that.

Can you guys help.

What supplies will i need. I need it to be rat proof so i cant have any gaps in the wire. What do you all suggest.??
    HEL:p

2. valentinebaby

valentinebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sherman-Denison, TX
    The best varmint proof wire I know of is 1/2" hardware cloth, buried in the ground or, at the very least, have a skirt of it on the ground around the perimeter as well. Mine is buried - some just lay a skirt around the sides. I have the hardware cloth (got mine @ Lowe's) on all sides and the top. Never have had anything get inside of it (you can see some of it on my BYC page), including 2 bobcats that have been trying to get to my girls.

First rule of building - always build bigger than you think you'll need - wish I had made mine wider rather than so tall, cuz I rarely go into the coop!

Gail

3. bahamas

bahamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    yup. i slit my finger open fiddling with a broken Lexmarx i was trying to fix and i had to call mom home. I'm bandaged up not but for this week it seems like no work on the coop will be done at least until monday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by