working on our coop (the dutch henhouse) (pics) UPDATE + questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jiskra, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Jiskra

Jiskra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Maryland
    After looking at many many designs I picked the dutch henhouse. My awesome boyfriend is working on it, we didnt buy the plans he is making it from one picture so it probably wont be exactly the same as the original henhouse.
    the big mess [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^^^ thats where the nest boxes are going to be

[​IMG]
    ^^^ inside the coop

******UPDATE*********
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It has been raining here for the past few days and the wood expanded and bent (see last pic). We definatelly didnt expect that to happen. So now we plan on waiting till it dryes out and paint it with something. Not sure what yet. We have left over paint of some sort, heres a link http://www.valsparglobal.com/val/resident/mccloskey_sc_transparent.jsp
    Would
    that be ok or is there something better we could/should use? Also for inside, we sealed the cracks with some kind of sealant, should we paint it as well? and if so which paint.
    We plan on putting a small door/window above the nestboxes that will ahve hardware cloth on the inside for more air during summer. There is also going to be an opening on the side where we will put in a heat lamp for winter.
    If you have any suggestions how to make this even better it would be appreciated.
    As far as the chicken wire goes I told my bf that it should be hardware cloth but he insists it is going to be fine. I am not really sure as I've seen a fox in the forest behind our house few times [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    looking good, I think the little chickie in the pics thinks its hers . keep posting updates.

3. Jiskra

Jun 15, 2010
    Maryland
    just updated the original post with more pictures

4. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    LOVE IT! We made the exact same one last month and it works beautifully! What is going to live in yours? Congrats!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I think you're going to need a bigger coop for that "chicken". [​IMG]

Looks nice!

6. Jiskra

Jun 15, 2010
    Maryland
    Quote:Thanks!!! I am hoping it will be comfortable for them.

we have 2 red sex links, one australorp and one easter egger.
    [​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How long is your roost? From the picture, it doesn't look long enough for 4 chickens. 48 inches long would be good for 4 chickens.

8. Jiskra

Jun 15, 2010
    Maryland
    Quote:oops, just measured it and its only 26 inches, I forgot to tell my bf how much space they need!! Now I am not sure how to make it right, I dont think there is enough space to add one on top, only maybe to make it go from wall to wall. The original plan was to only have 3 chickens but I couldnt resist and ordered 4. Now I am starting to wonder if the coop is big enough for them [​IMG]

9. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Can he attach a new roost from above the nesting box to the opposite wall? Then just take out the current roost?

10. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    this goes to prove my theory that kids and pets are incapable of taking a bad picture anytime [​IMG] what a nice coop, and yes, you have an awesome BF to build this for you! One thing though, chicken wire near the bottom wont protect the hens from raccoons, they can actually tear it and even if they dont, they can reach through it.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by