Working through stress

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nestled Chickens, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Nestled Chickens

Nestled Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Two and a half weeks and not a single egg out of 40 some hens. We tried to plan for this, knowing that a hen's second winter usually starts with a molt. Their feathers are new and sleek and still no eggs. And we didn't expect the new hens to stop laying too. Last year, our newbies slowed down, but didn't stop. But now all three age classes of hens have quit and have become expensive pets. Could they be stressed because we eliminated six roosters three weeks ago? And how long does it take for them to get it out of their system? And what can I do to help?

2. sunnydalefarms

sunnydalefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Sturgeon, MO
    Are you supplying supplemental light? I've found doing that is helpful.

3. Cheep

Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    Since you have NO eggs, I would suspect something is taking them.

4. Nestled Chickens

Nestled Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Should the light stay on all day and night? Or just during the day?

Our coop is set high off the ground and surrounded by a tall fence, so there isn't any way for an egg stealer to get in and clear out nine next boxes. The cat food is easier to get:) We don't even see the hens sitting. They get in the nest boxes to sleep and that is all.

5. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Similar situation here - second winter for my 12 hens and they molted and stopped laying - I get 0-2 eggs a day. I plan to extend their "daylight" with a light on a timer to slowly add an extra couple of hours each day. Hopefully the increase in daylight will get them going again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by