World record meatie? 22lb?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bradleyjpyle, Oct 6, 2012.

1. bradleyjpyle

bradleyjpyle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2012
    The largest bird (chicken) I could find was 22lb from California. Breed wasn't specified.

Mine I just bought( one I was disputing in a previous thread) I've wondered if I can push into record books with his size.

I weighed him 6 times. 19.2lbs, he is this years hatch.

Go ahead and flame me for whatever, just curious.

2. Cedarknob

Cedarknob Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Western IL
    Don't know what he weighed, but he stayed healthy until he tried to fight another male through the fence, getting air born about 3 ft of the ground and injuring a leg when he landed. He covered hens frequently, but was just too large to 'hit the spot'. [And the hens were never injured.] Two others this size were culled when they developed heart problems; you will know their hearts are going bad if their combs turn bluish.

[​IMG]

3. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm confused..wondering why on earth someone would flame someone for having a big chicken. [​IMG]

In any case...do you have pictures? :)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  4. Cedarknob

Cedarknob Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Western IL
    CX, if not on a very restricted diet, grow too fast and develop heart problems or leg failure. Mine developed heart disease anyway at about one year.

5. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Ahhh, thank you for the information, good to know.

6. calamtykel

calamtykel Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2009
    I am astounded at the size the Cornish get to be. We were given two by a local wildlife sanctuary who had accepted them from someone who accidentally raised them as pets (??) - they were afraid they would die soon if they didn't unload them. They had good legs and were able to get around well and had bright colored combs. When we had them processed, they dressed out at 10.5 and 11.5 pounds and I thought that was enormous - they were like little turkeys! :)

7. bradleyjpyle

bradleyjpyle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2012
    [​IMG]

He is a tank. Runs free range all over the yard and pastures with my turkeys.

1 person likes this.
  8. TamTurkey

TamTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    We get them pretty big 12-14 lbs but we get rid of them at 6 weeks. He looks good in color and doesn't seem to have leg problems if he's all over the yard! And if he's that big and that much older he should have great flavor if not he looks happy and will make a great pet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by