World's Easiest Pickles

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by 2DogsFarm, Jun 9, 2009.

1. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    TSC Out Here magazine has a recipe for bread & butter pickles made in the microwave.
    The only thing wrong with it is it makes just one pint. [​IMG]

I easily doubled it and will try it again to see if I can tweak the ingredients and make garlicky dill pickles.

If you can't get the magazine, here it is:
    (this is the 1 pint quantities)

2 cups sliced cucumbers
    1 cup sliced onion
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
    1/4 teaspoon celery seed
    1/4 teaspoon turmeric
    1 cup sugar (I used 3/4 cup for a double recipe)

I like a spicy pickle so I added 2 cloves of garlic , crushed, and a pinch of red pepper flakes

Mix together, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on High for 8 minutes.
    Refrigerate before serving (DUH!)

I mixed everything in a large bowl then ladled into freezer jars after cooking. Did the doubled recipe for 10 minutes in the microwave.
    I imagine you could just microwave in the jars too.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Crowing

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I picked four cucumbers from my garden today and made the pickles from the recipe and YES they were extremely easy to make and smell GREAT! I hope they taste as good as they smell. [​IMG]
    Thanks for sharing the recipe.[​IMG]

Oh, I thought I should add that the four cucumbers made a double batch.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  3. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Glad you liked it!

I just realized I have a zucchini relish recipe that uses pretty much the same ingredients except the zucchini & onion are chopped. So I'll be doing that in the microwave too.
    It's a freezer relish and made great gifts last year.

Still haven't tried the dill pickles, but I will.....

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  4. BBK

BBK Songster

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    In the beginning of our growing season,we don't get many cukes. so i make a SUN DILLS...

Take a big jar, cut my cukes lenght wise. put into the jar, fill 3/4 with vinegar and then add your spices, i also add glarlic cloves sliced, real dill works better, but if you don't have that, it's ok... I also add a little sugar. [​IMG]
    then fill with water to the top. Let the jar sit outside for 3 days, then refridgerate.

They make you pucker [​IMG] at first, but they're good... you can drop your levels down on anything or add things to this, it works great....
    melinda

5. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Melinda: YUM!
    How easy is that?
    And pucker is fine with me, I love me some sour pickles!

Makes me think of being a little kid again and filching big dill pickles out of the neighbor lady's crock she left on her back porch.... [​IMG]
    Those were the Best Pickles EVER!

LOL!
    Now I can filch my own pickles [​IMG]

6. HenPen

HenPen Songster

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Can't wait to try these...

7. BBK

BBK Songster

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    then fill with water to the top. Let the jar sit outside for 3 days, then refridgerate.

I better clarify.... you have to put the jar in FULL SUN for 3-4 days then refridgerate, eat chilled.

And a lot of how much? depends on the size of your jar and how many cukes you put into your jar....hope this helps.

melinda​

8. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Thanks for the clarification on the Sun Dills.
    They can sit right on my front porch that gets sun all day long (faces South)

I might have to get a jar started this weekend - I have a big gallon jar I used for ice tea that should be perfect.

9. sunshineinsc

sunshineinsc Songster

May 27, 2008
    columbia,sc
    I made these pickles yesterday and just tried them and they are AWESOME!

I was a little nervous as I never made pickles before but it was quick and easy and they taste great!

10. BBK

BBK Songster

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    sunshineinsc wrote:
    I made these pickles yesterday and just tried them and they are AWESOME!

I was a little nervous as I never made pickles before but it was quick and easy and they taste great!

I'm a little jealous b/c you already have cukes to do this....mine are still babies... and the weather here is not helping much..glad you liked them. [​IMG]

melinda​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: